Wednesday 29 April 2015

Impact on environment

I have heard a news from my classmate this afternoon class which impressed me so much as it is very lovely story about the acting of human to help birds get their correctly direction to the north by just decreasing the light in the town.

Another similar story is said by The BBC News “Habour light ‘confusescreatures’” (2015) that the night-time illumination is attracting Keel worms, light-loving marine creatures which damage ships and boats. This is found by the UK scientists and they need to conduct studies more about what type of light cause this effect after they avoid the using artificial light near the ocean.

Harbour night

I think dimming the light is quite hard to do as it is necessary thing for work at night. And the next question  that come to my mind is How much the light intensity can they decrease? Because, working at the habour need to be extremely careful . There are a very huge area, plenty of heavy containers to move up and down all the time and very deep ocean around. Therefore, if the scientists have enough researches, the solution would be clearer.

There are a lot of problem  occur because of knowledge about the light. I would like to tell one since I heard and saw from my hometown neighbor who is fisherman. In the past, I saw squid which was caught by fisherman by shining the normal white light into the sea and they did not get squid too much. Unfortunately for those squid, fisherman find out the green light is the squid favourite colour , thereby, they get much more squid by using it. I just wondering, if everyone use the same method like this, some kind of squid would be rarely to find in the nearly future.


As everyone knows, the good always comes the bad. Thomas Alva Edison invent the light to comfort human being life, however, it also brings some drawbacks for other organisms. Anyway, I personally like news about human take more care of animals. I am so much pleasure because I have couple of this today. I hope this means modern people have more kindness for other living things in this self-interest world.
__________
Reference
Morelle, R. (2015, April 29). Harbour light 'attracts ship-damaging creatures'. BBC News Science&Environment. Retrieved from http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-32500640

7 comments:

  1. This news and your blog post are very interesting. I totally agree with your idea about good side of modern people in more caring about environment and creatures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From these topics, the one about bird and this one about worm, make me think that it may have other creatures that are affected by the light too.

      Delete
    2. I definitely agree with your opinion that there must be many other creatures are affected by light. I think there is not only light that have an effect on ecosystem, but there are also many actions of human being and invention.

      Delete
  2. First of all, your introduction attracted me because you're talking about the news I chose. And that's good. At least the news I chose can give something to people in class.

    Talking about light intensity that you mentioned in the third paragraph, I think that if we can find the lowest intensity of light that still allow people to world safely, it does not benefit only animal but also us and our world. That would surely decrease amount of electricity consumption.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am quite surprised that you comment my blog post and very glad to see it because as you said, my introduction talked about the news you told me. Anyway, I think your opinion is great if everyone think like you, our world and animals' living would be better than it is today.

      Delete
  3. I wonder: if we think that humans should " take more care of animals," should we also stop eating meat, or at least stop eating meat that causes massive animal suffering, such as mass production of chickens in cramped cages?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if we can reduce eating meat, it is win-win situation, people will be healthier and the animal suffering will decrease. However, if we stop eating all meats, I am not how much are ecosystem and life cycle affected?

      Delete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.