Wednesday 29 April 2015

The Ban on the Use of Plastic Bags

Do you have any plastic bag around you? The amount of plastic bags which everyone encounters daily have many types such as plastic bags for food, bakery, cloths or plastic bags from shopping malls. The growth of using plastic affect to environment problems which made people realize that they need to solve directly and properly.

According to EU to curb thinnest plastic bags in anti-pollution push” (Bel, 2015). EU has the agreement to reduce the use of plastic bags in Europe. However, some members of European Parliament disagree to use two implementations in future because they might encourage people to reduce using the bags but not stop using them.


After I read this article, I tried to find out why I use the plastic bags. I like to use a plastic bag because it is not expensive, lightweight and durable. I am able to use it again for carrying my belonging, so I am always happy when I get a new plastic bag. Moreover, I can find that a lot of my belonging make from plastic material. There are huge advantages of the plastic which make manufacturers use it to produce goods especially the less cost of production.


However, I have known that the advantages of the plastic bags lead many problems in the world. Some plastic bags are not degradable, and others have to spend more a hundred years degrading. Besides they become killers as people throw them in seas, forests, rivers and so on. Animals which live there eat the plastics and die. Moreover, I have heard that there were thousands Indians loss their lives due to clogged drains by the plastic bags. Those are reasons why people in many countries want to ban using of the plastic bags.  


Aside from my favorite interest, travel documentaries are my favorite program. They not only let me know a lot of attractive places in the world, but they also show traditional lifestyle in each country. The article of BBC News remind me of Shimla in Northern India at which local people do not use the plastic bags because the local government has forced the people to stop using them. Furthermore, the government also tries to prohibit the traders from using them as carry bags or containers. It is successful there.


Have you imagined that there is not any plastic bag in Thailand?  Would it be great or terrible? 

__________
Reference
Bel, B. (2015,  April 28). EU to curb thinnest plastic bags in anti-pollution push. BBC News world. Retrieved from http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-32495059

10 comments:

  1. No plastic bags? What would I do on my daily grocery visit to Tops?
    Perhaps a more just law would be to make the producers of plastic bags cover the full cost of dealing with the garbage they become. And that cost could then be passed on to people like me who are happy to pay for the convenience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The convenience is important foe me too, although I realized that the plastic bags is a one of cause which affect the environment problem. Therefore, I try to reuse the bags which I have gotten several time before I throw them.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think a store should have some promotions like discount for 1 or 2% , if more than this rate it may not be worth, for people who refuse to get plastic bag by using their own bag. I believe many local mass medias will report the store so it can get an advertisement at the same time with out using any money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Edit spelling: *without

      Delete
    2. I have heard that there are many stores in Thailand having this promotion. For example, a campaign "Rak Lok" of Central department store provide special points to customers who buy goods from Central without plastic bags for carrier. I really agree with this campaign. However, I always forget the bags when I go shopping.

      Delete
    3. Thanks. I have just know these great promotions, next time, I must bring my owns but I think I may forget too.

      Delete
  5. I think it's a good idea to stop using plastic bags. The plastic bag will increase the environment problem like the global warming. I am a person who needs to use a lot of plastic bags because I can't avoid using them. My work, pharmacist, is directly related to using the plastic bags when patients buy some drugs; however, I will always ask the patients "Do you need a plastic bag?". Doing this helps our world reduce the using of the plastic bags, just a little part but I am happy with that to save my world.

    If Thailand doesn't use plastic bags, the weather may be less hot than today. let's stop using plastic bag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I am really glad to hear how you save the world. I am also a one who cannot avoid using the plastic bags. Maybe I get familiar with convenience to use them when I go shopping. However, I try to reuse the bags several times before I throw them.

      Delete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.