Wednesday 23 November 2016

Do You Eat Alone?

What I read 
In "the book review of Never Eat Alone by Keith Ferrazzi – Networking 101by Jason James", James summarized one section of what he read in "Never Eat Alone by Keith Ferrazzi". He described types of the people who you can face to in the networking conferences; The card Dispenser, The commercial break, the interviewer, and the ankle hugger. He suggested don't be all of them but let create the relationship and continue your relationships and it would be benefits in future.
_______________________________________ 

My response

He set the topic as a book review, however, it is only one section of the book, not all of it. I think it would be better if he reviewed all main ideas of the book. Nevertheless, he quite did well in the summary of this section.

This book actually about how good of the network. Ferrazzi starts this book with the mindset because he thinks it is really important part of building a network. If the readers have still thought that networks are not important, it is not necessary to explain the other parts of the book. I also think that network is really important; my friend, for instance, got the job because of her network. She does not exactly know how that guy who sent her job application to HR team but that guy is her boyfriend's friend.

I like the title of the book which is "Never is alone", it means when you eat alone, you loses your time to build you relationship with other people which exactly match with the topic in the book; networking and how to build and continue your relation.

In the business world, networks are really necessary. Many people study MBA because they think that those classes will lead them to the web of connection.

_______________________________________ 

Reference

3 comments:

  1. But I like eating alone!
    I enjoy meals with friends, but sometimes it's also fun just to relax with something you like, even a simple sandwich with some tasty cheese on good bread, and watch something a bit silly on NetFlix, which has no shortage of rubbish that I guess some must watch and even enjoy.

    Please, protect me from card dispensers, interviewers and ankle huggers when I'm trying to enjoy good food! And do I even want to know what a "commercial break" type of networker is?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I normally eat alone. I like the ides of the book. Perhaps, I should change my habits. I always think that I will lose my time when I eat with others. People tend to spend more time eating with others. Imagine yourself eating with your friends thinking whether they are looking at you when you eat. Is your eating behavior appropriate et cetera et cetera.

    The example is not really a good one. Yea it might good if my girlfriend's friend is the HR. However, what if my ex-girlfriend's friend is the HR.... The consequences are unpredictable.

    Another setback of "never eating alone" is the cost of a meal eating with friends is normally higher than eating alone. After all, when I eat alone I eat what I want, or maybe not eat at all. more restriction will kick in as I eat with my friends. Trade off between time, money and networking is something to be considered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Den makes a good point: it costs me more when I eat with other people than when I eat alone. I don't worry too much about what others think about my eating habits, with which I'm happy, but the enjoyable conversation with the good food can eat up a lot of time. A memorable meal is when I sat down with a group of friends a few years ago at a restaurant on Silom. We started around 9:00 PM, and got so carried away, the sun was coming up when we finished! Then we felt so guilty that we tipped all of the staff we had kept waiting a 1,000 Baht each in addition to the cost of the seafood we had consumed. I should add that that is definitely not normal for us. Although when I'm visiting family in Australia, we regularly have meals that last for two to three hours, which would be disastrous if normal. But they are fun, even the heated family arguments.

      Delete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.