Monday 21 November 2016

Let Me Tell You a Story

What I read 

Image result for let me tell you a story jorge bucay reviewIn "Let me tell you a story", Jorge Bucay, in each chapter, writes about a short conversation between Damian and his psychotherapist, Jorge (Jorge Bucay, 2013). Damian is a sensitive young man who curious about the world and himself. He also has difficulty facing some every's life problems such as his relationships with friends, family and his fears also his concerning of works. Then we realize that Damian is just an ordinary person like us that wants to be happy and fulfilled. In every chapter, we will be reading a short story that Jorge tells Demian which help him to overcome his suspects and find happiness. More than that those stories also help reader to better understand ourselves, our relationships and our fears.
_______________________________________ 

My response

Image result for จะเล่าให้คุณฟังI first saw this book in a Thai bookstore and the Thai title version of it sounded so fascinating "จะเล่าให้คุณฟัง" then after reading a few chapters I decided to buy it. Actually, I considered that I must buy it since I finished the first chapter. The first chapter was about Damian's having a problem about confessing his feeling to the girl he likes so Jorge tells him a story of "The chained elephant" about how little Jorge was curious why a giant elephant in the circus with a power that can easily break a tree in half, do not escape from the circus because he noticed that after the show, one of the elephant's legs was always chained to a small post was staked into the ground that an animal so strong it was capable of uprooting a tree from the ground could easily wrench himself free of the post and take off. Why didn't he run away? What kept him from doing it? Till he grows older he found out the answer and that's surprised me so I decided to but it just then... I won't spoil why it is surprised me but you can ask me later!

After I have read a few chapters I started to get confuse by languages because this book is translated from Spanish. Then I found the English version which has helped me to clarify what I didn't understand from Thai version. Now I'm reading an English version I enjoy it even more.

All those stories make me realize that what it is, it's not always what it seems. I have been reading this long enough to agree with a lot of reviewers that said it was a good book to read, gave us a lot of things to learn and live on. Some said it can change your life but you have to really do it even you've failed before as Jorge said, at the end of chapter one, “The only way you can know if you can is to try again and do it with all your heart. With all your heart!”.

_______________________________________ 

Reference

No comments:

Post a Comment

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.