Friday 4 March 2011

Exercise Cuts Risk of Cancer

When i'm thinking about "cancer", the first image appearing in my mind is my recent work place. I had a good opportunity to work as an oncology dietitian at Chulalongkorn Memorial Hospital for 5 months, I could understand and get used to see many patients suffering from cancers. It's very difficult to explain about their all aliments but apparent symptoms are depression, a terrible pain, or unconsciousness. Thus, when I was reading this article, Exercise cuts risk of developing bowel cancer polyps, from the BBC News, I totally thought that why is this article not be published since many many years ago.

Scientists from the US point out that there is a relationship between low exercise level and bowel polyps. "Polyps- also known as adenomas" grow in the bowel and can develop to cancer in many following years. Professor Kathleen Wolin, one of the researchers, states that the evidence can present an association between exercise and risk of cancer but there is still no the exact reason. However, the apparent benefits from exercise are reducing inflammation in bowel, lowering insulin level, and enhancing immune system. In addition, Sara Hiom, from Cancer Research UK, also mentions that keeping active "prevent thousands of cases of cancer every year" because keeping a healthy weight is the good way of reducing the risk of cancer. Therefore, she recommends doing exercise at least 30 minutes per day. Besides, Mark Flannagan, Chief Executive of Beating Bowel Cancer, says that the lifestyle, including physical activities and a healthy diet, is very important in the cancer prevention.

I'm really happy to read this article because it'a really useful not only for me but also everyone. I believe that prevention is better than cure. And the suggestion from this article is not difficult to do at all. It's just doing exercise at least 30 minutes and having a healthy diet. I think we would be happier because it would bring us several benefits. First of all, we needn't waste of time to go to hospital if we don't have cancer. When I was working in the cancer department, I saw many patients have to go to receive chemotherapy and check their disease progression at least every week. It's not only waste of patients time but also their patient caretakers or relatives. Secondly, the cost of cancer treatment is very expensive especially in high potential drugs.(Care vs Cost: How Much Is Too Much To Treat Cancer?) For my experience, I heard that some patients who don't have enough money to support their treatments have to sell their own properties such as houses, cars, and gold. It's very terrible story that happened in Thailand. Last of all, I always observed patients that come to see doctors always get pretty depression. Some are worried about their disease might be more severe, some are worried about their life expectancy. All of these, I'd like to call it "extremely desolation". As I mention above, these are my feeling when I see people suffer from cancer. So I really want to recommend you to follow the guideline. Just only doing exercise and eat a healthy diet can reduce the risk of cancer.
____________________________________________________________________________________________
References
Exercise cuts risk of developing bowel cancer polyps. (2011, March 2) BBC News. Retrieved March 4, 2011 from http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-12610236

Care vs Cost: How Much Is Too Much To Treat Cancer? (2010, Jan 21) Retrieved March 4, 2011 from http://www.dailyfinance.com/story/care-vs-cost-how-much-is-too-much-to-treat-cancer/19327597/

1 comment:

  1. Another reason for me to start exercising a bit more regularly. Is walking home after class and jumping around in class enough exercise?

    I was also interested in Milk's response comments about her personal experience with cancer patients. My father had some unpleasant experiences with malignant melanomas (skin cancers), and his treatment involved the sort of awful therapy that Milk mentions: chemotherapy, radiation therapy and surgery. Thankfully in his case, the treatments did successfully get rid of all the cancers, and he went on to live a happy, healthy and active life until he was 80 years old, but the experience of being treated for cancer was pretty awful.

    What I was wondering was do all the patients want to continue with the treatment, even if they know it will likely fail and is using up all of their financial assets and perhaps even making them sick?
    My father thought the pain, trouble and cost were worth it because he had a good chance of getting rid of the cancer, but my aunt who died of incurable liver cancer wished the doctors would leave her alone and let her die more peacefully since it was already certain that the cancer was soon going to kill her whatever the doctors did.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.