Thursday 29 September 2011

The Problem that Affects the Growth of Children


There are many social problems that occur in every countries, especially is family problems. The cause is negligence of family. I think this problem should be considered strongly because the social foundation comes from a family that understands each other.

According to "Our children need time not stuff" on the BBC News website, the research suggests that parents in UK want to be good parents, but they do not have the time.Therefore, they often try to compensate for this by buying their children gadgets and clothes. The report argues that the pressure of the working environment and widespread materialism combine to damage the well-being of the children, most families give money to their children but sometimes they do not want. For this reason, UNICEF has a way to solve this problem. They want politicians to consider specific measures to support families. For example, reform of advertising laws, a living wage so that families earn enough to spend more time with each other, and protection of children's facilities so they have the opportunity to be active.

I think this is a serious problem and widespread in many countries. I absolutely agree that parents need more time with their children even though they do not have enough time, but they should find time to talk with them. In addition, the important thing is that parents should not assume that all goods which they buy can be able to replace the time that their children want. Moreover, I think this is the beginning to make children grow up lacking the warmth of family and can cause the crime problems in the future. For example, in Thailand, it has news about the controversy of teenagers, the reason comes from the fact that parents do not have time to teach their children what should be do and what shouldn't be do. Consequently, I agree with UNICEF's solutions, for I believe that this approach are able to create the close relationship of family even more and reduce the gap between family members.

__________
References
Our children need time not stuff. (2011, September 13). BBC News. Retrieved September 29, 2011 from http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14899148

9 comments:

  1. Dear Preaw,
    I like this topic very much. It's true that children really need to have quality time with parents. Since my husband can't be with my kids every day or every week. We agreed that I am the one who always be there for them. I almost have meal with them every day. I have movie night with my girl on Friday night and playing Thomas and friends ( trains) with the boy day time. We always spend time together on Saturday.
    I like to but educational toys from amazon for my son and buy books for my girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mur,
    I respect you that you always take care them everyday, but I think it's will better if your husband is spend more time with your children,right? I also think that is a happy time. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you. This is a sensitive problem in many society and it can be a serious problem in the future. These suggestions are useful to operate with their children. I think if this problem can be improve, the other problem can reduce.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your topic. I think this problem occurs in every social. Some people think that it is not a big problem. But it can become a big problem. If we can fix this problem, it will make children have a good way of life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Preaw,

    I like your topic very much because I really love my warm family. I agree with you that love, understanding and warmth in a family is more important than anything else. And I think, a family is the smallest part of society but it's the most important!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Preaw,
    I absolutely agree with you and hope UNICEF's campaign to succeed in every country. It is true that there are becoming more and more families where both of parents work, so they leave their kids private institutes or alone in our country. Most of the mothers say that they work because of tuitions of private educational system. I don't know which is the reason of this situation, but the current real conditions have
    bad influence on every society.

    Elevated social status of women, having only kid in a family, and improved divorce rate are also driving women to work places. Therefore,the government, societies, and both of parents shoud cooperate together to keep a happy family, which makes strong basis of a nation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wonder: is there any evidence that societies are becoming worse because both parents work or because of rising divorce rates?

    What does it mean to say that "society is becoming worse"? In fact, crime rates are dropping, living standards are rising, education is improving, and so on.

    And just how much time do children need to be in the company of parents? I agree that parents are the major influence on children, but I suspect that most of that influence is at the very start of the child's life, with the child's peers rapidly replacing parents as the major influence.

    I agree with Preaw that parents should not think that things are a replacement for loving care, but I disagree with most of UNICEF's suggestions, which are nothing more but further communist-like efforts to control every aspect of everyone's lives and turn them into slaves of society. UNICEF might have good intentions, but their suggestions are not good, and in fact make the problem worse by teaching parents that an interfering and controlling government can make up laws to fix every problem, rather than accepting that parents really are responsible and have to do things themselves for their own children.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Peter,
    Your idea is very interesting and we should use in consideration before making a decision. However, I still think that the recommendations of UNICEF is a good thing, especially the reform of advertising and wage adjustments because If an advertising has been modified to suit the children that can make them to develop the idea. For example, advertisers about family, it might make kids think that family is important. As for wage adjustments, I think if it was increased might that parent have more time for their children.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Preaw,
    I agree that higher wages are a good thing, but I think the best way to get them is by encouraging greater competition for the workers' work. For example, if Thailand allowed all foreign businesses to compete directly in Thailand, with no Thai ownership, that would be a great boost to the THai economy and to the wages of Thai workers. At the moment, there are problems because the bad laws to protect Thai business owners encourage inefficient practices and therefore lower production so that wages are kept low and the economy does not grow as it could.

    I do think there should be laws regulating advertising, but mainly to ensure that it is honest - I think that's enough.

    And thanks for disagreeing with me. When people disagree with us, it forces us to reconsider our ideas and perhaps revise them. Never disagreeing is a problem. There should be disagreement in a healthy society, and our class is a small society.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.