Tuesday 20 September 2011

Thank you Kate, even if we're fake.

Arriving at the wedding
Like many, I watched bits of the royal wedding between Prince William, heir to the British throne, and Kate Middleton earlier this year. The highlights for me are still Posh Beckham's amazingly impressive high heels (photos at The Mail Online), and that amazing fascinator (hat) worn by Princess Beatrice, who apparently does not have a competent dress advisor. Was all that dressing up for one day, all the expense, and all the silliness, of any use?

According to "Royal wedding 'boosts Sri Lanka sapphire sales'," another accessory has proved very useful to the Sri Lankan economy (Haviland, 2011). Charles Haviland reports that Sri Lanka's gem exports rose 35% following the wedding because of stories that the blue sapphire in the wedding ring, which had previously been owned and worn by Princess Diana, was originally mined in Sri Lanka 30 years ago, although "the royal jewellers, Garrard, declined to comment to the BBC on its origins" (¶ 7). However, as Haviland notes, the local merchants and miners are promoting the story, and there is a healthy demand for stones like the one in Kate's ring.

Although Haviland politely did not say so, merely noting that the jewellers who had originally set the beautiful stone in the ring refused to comment, there is no evidence that the stone is actually from Sri Lanka, but that is not stopping people apparently believing the stories, and even if they know they are not supported, paying a lot of money for what are really nothing but bits of pretty stone of no real use. Or are they of some use?

Is the fashion industry useful? And what about other products, such as computer games, alcohol and other drugs, art, and so on? Are these things useful? Obviously, a lot of people think that they are valuable. Consumers eagerly spend money on all of these things, and investment consultants recommend art, jewellery and other such "useless" things as serious investments. Human behaviour can seem very weird at times, or are people really being sensible when they spend  serious money on these things because they really are very useful? I was thinking I wouldn't spend money that way, but I'm not sure that that's right - I do spend money on things that other people think are useless, or at least not worth the amounts I spend: I have a collection of of pens that cost more than a few dollars each, and when I was younger, I did buy clothes that I only wore to one or two special occasions. And then there is the money I spend on French food - surely a couple of hundred Baht would be as useful as a couple of thousand, or much more in Sydney? So, is everything useful? It reminds of my mother's horror when told that my 18 year old nephew had just spent $600 on some special sort of jeans, but I don't think my mother is in a strong position to criticise - she spends that much or more on her gambling every week, and that definitely does not seem very useful to me.

And as for Princess Beatrice's fascinator, it has proven very useful, having raised over $130,000 for charities when sold at auction after the wedding ("Princess Beatrice’s Fascinator", 2011).
__________
References
Haviland, C. (2011, September 13). Royal wedding 'boosts Sri Lanka sapphire sales'. BBC News. Retrieved September 20, 2011 from http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-14856468

Princess Beatrice’s Fascinator Sells For $130,000. (2011, May 23). Speakeasy. The Asian Wall Street Journal. Retrieved September 20, 2011 from http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2011/05/23/princess-beatrices-fascinator-sells-for-130000/

10 comments:

  1. In my opinion, most teenagers are spending too lavishly and some of what they bought are not necessary. On the other hand, I think that all humans would want to buy some products to fulfill their needs. For example, I usually buy concert tickets every year although it has a high price and not necessary, but I still want to buy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Preaw,
    I agree that a lot of people, not just teenagers, spend lavishly on things that are not necessary. I'm not sure that that's a bad thing - it creates employment, and benefits the whole economy.

    How could "most teenagers [be] spending too lavishly"? If they have the money from some honest means, I think it's OK for them to spend it how they want, even on very silly things, like jeans, iPads, beer, sapphire rings, or comics. But perhaps I did not understand exactly what you meant.

    What does too lavishly mean?

    I like your concert tickets example. They are definitely not something you need, but they are are useful, and I don't think too lavish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry, Peter. I'm not sure "too lavishly" is correct, but I want to explain that most teenagers spend a lot of money to buy things which they want.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Preaw, now I'm clear. I agree with you.

    I think that "too lavishly" is a good idea, I just wasn't sure what you meant exactly, so I was checking.

    Actually, I think you could support a different meaning for too lavishly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Peter and Preaw that people always spend lavishly on some things that are not useful.

    What kind of things that people ready pay for:
    Is it depend on what they are really interested in or just follow fashion or else.

    For me,I always buy magnets from several places where I have been for traveling before, yet I do not buy them if they are not posted a name of places. When I get them, I do not use them as their function, just keeping in boxes.

    You know? I'm not interested in magnet, I just buy them as a routine.

    So I'm not sure that it oppose to Preaw's view, "I think that all humans would want to buy some products to fulfill their needs" or not?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kwang,
    I like your comment. I think it helps us focus on the important issue.

    And your personal example is great - it makes your idea very clear. It also reminds me of something I used to do: I used to collect fridge magnets from films I'd seen. I did stick them on my fridge, but never to hold notes in place, just as mementos of something I'd done with a friend. Otherwise, like you, I have no interest in these magnets.

    Is my sentiment useful?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perter,
    Your sentiment is certainly useful. At least, it reminds you of being alive, right?

    I agree with the idea that everything is useful. I think we can figure out a benefit of everything poping into our head. No matter how wicked it is, such an item also has usefulness. The atomic bomb, for example, was used to kill numerable Japanese people in The world war II. The boom caused unbelievable damage to human being, but it's horrible results provided us with a valuable lesson, too. Today, many countries avoid using a nuclear boom. It is clear that even the worst device in the world is useful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Money make the world goes around. Diamond is one of the most beautiful things in the world. People buy diamond ring for special occasion such as wadding or gift. I would like to put forward the idea that money is very important. If I am wealthy, I prefer to donate money to poor people and send them to school. Everything is useful, but human life is the first priority. Moreover, people can create the world just like a piece of paradise.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Noom,
    I agree. Money is very useful.
    You comment reminded me of people like Bill Gates. He made a vast fortune be creating enormous value for millions (billions?) of people, and has probably given more in his philanthropy to help others than any other human being ever.
    Warren Buffet is another wonderfully generous multi-billionaire who has always worked hard to create value for others and for society.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I told my girl money is very important. We are teaching her to save the money so that she can use it for the things that she needs not she wants. In order to have a good life in the future, she knows that she need to study hard and have enough knowledge to compete with others. She has to gain the skill so that she can contribute to the society. She really want to study abroad like Singapore and USA. She knows that she need money for her education.
    In my family, we don't spend much for things that we want and it really take self control for doing that. I personally like to buy books and collect them but I don't have enough time to read them.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.