Saturday 17 March 2012

Must Meat Be Banned?

My last post suggested that there was nothing wrong with eating every kind of meat: dog, pig, elephant, dolphin, chicken, whale, horse and so on. But maybe I was wrong.

According to a very large study done by the Harvard Medical School and reported in "Red meat increases death, cancer and heart risk, says study", there is strong evidence that red meat at least is unhealthy. The Harvard researchers collected data on more than 120,000 men and women over more than 20 years, which shows a strong correlation between eating red meat and a higher risk of death. For people who have as little as one normal daily red meat serving, such as steak, the increased risk is 13%, but for processed meat, such as bacon or hamburger, this increases to 20%. Despite these results, which correlate with death mainly by cancer or heart disease, a British Heart Foundation dietitian says that some meat is still reasonable in a balanced diet, although replacing red meats with chicken or fish is also recommended.

Actually, I didn't think that there was anything new or surprising in this report. What made it interesting is that it's a very large study, which makes the results much stronger. It has been known for many years that most of us eat far too much meat, especially red meat, but also other kinds, and health professionals have long been recommending less meat in our diets for a healthier life. In fact, it's pretty clear that most people need no meat at all in their diet, and we would probably be much healthier if we stopped eating meat completely. I'm not about to do this, but I would have to agree that this is what the evidence tells us. Human beings do not normally need to eat meat: we eat it because we love the taste.

And that brings me to another connection with an idea in a couple of recent posts: the excuse that some drugs should be illegal because they are unhealthy. An important part of this argument is that if something is unhealthy or has some bad effect on others, that that is a sufficient reason to ban it. Well, clearly, the facts are that eating red meat is unhealthy and has a bad effect on other people, such as the children who lose a mother early from cancer linked to her consumption of red meat. Therefore, red meat must be banned and McDonald's owners and employees thrown into prison for dealing a dangerous product to innocent children and others because of their love for large financial profits. I think that there is a serious flaw in this argument, but the flaw is not that eating hamburgers and steak has a clear and strong correlation with an increased death risk.

__________
References
Red meat increases death, cancer and heart risk, says study. (2012, March 12). BBC News. Retrieved March 17, 2012 from http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17345967

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you eating red meat isn't the only and direct reason for death risk. Further more, every person's reflection to red meat is different and it is necessary for somebody but harmful to others.Happily,I am a vegetarian and maigre diet chaged my corporeity.For example, it was difficult to lose weight for me only refusal dinner,but,it is easy to keep fit after i became a vegetarian when I use as same as the past ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystal,
      I'm glad to hear that someone in the class is a vegetarian. It's solid support for my idea that we don't need meat to be healthy.

      I think I would be healthier if I was a vegetarian, but I do like meat! And you are 100% right - it's very to refuse dinner and other meals. I can't deny myself, so my waist is constantly growing. And it seems to be growing at a faster rate.

      Delete
  2. I agree with you that eating red meat is harmful our health. Actually, I used to worked in McDonald's and all product is frozen foods such as onions, bread, meat, and french fried. I think frozen food and red meat are danger with our health. If you change to eat white meat instead of red, it's the better way to keep your health out of any risk.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.