Sunday 4 March 2012

Pet Booming In Hard Time

Economic crisis is expanding worldwide. People try to tighten their belt  instead of spending as much as they used to.Many brandname and luxuary product sales decline dramatically, but in this difficult period, pet industry is triving and flourishing especially in the US, where the economic is in the most down trend.

In "US spending on pets 'passes $50bn'", published on March 3, 2012 ,reports that the spending of Americans in pet industry including food ,veterinary services, pet services and pet insurance is increasing from last year and is expected to reach the highest record at the end of this year. The statistic from The American Pet Products Association (APPA) shows the pet expenses are exeeding $50 billion in 2011 and continuing to reach $4.11 billion by the end of 2012. The fastest growing sector is pet services,which consists of grooming, boarding, pet hotels, and pet-sitting with the figure  around $3.79 billion in 2011. During this uptrend period ,a wide range of pet's products such as bionic pet's toys, fancy clothes and accesories are produced to meet the need of  the owners. The reasons that pet industry becomes more popular are becuase of  taking care pets is time consuming and requiring more responsibilities. Therefore,the pet lovers are willing to pay extra money for their lover companians.

My family is a kind of dog lover. There are three dogs
Groomer Sara Ingram streaks the fur of Yorkshire terrier Betsey Johnson during a spa session at the Barkley Pet Hotel, California in my house. We feel that they are our family members. I spend money for their food around 1000 baht per month, for grooming for my little puddle around 350 baht per month as well. The extra money that costs me each month seems not too much,but when I sum it up annually.It is quite expensive. However, it's a kind of happiness to have time with the different specie friends. They can't talk with me, but they can understand  my feeling. When I feel happy,they are also cheerful- running and playing around me. Sometimes, I feel sad, they seem to be understand and just sit quitetly nearby me. Therefore, this news does not surprise me at all. In contrast, I understand why the pet owners in the US willing to spend their extra money for them.
But, there is also a special people who are extreamly love their pet that I do not understand their thought. They take care their pet in  unusual ways. For example, last year, my vet friend called me to go to do root canal treatment for his one special dog-patient. Honestly,I was shock (even I am a dentist, I know the reason of this treatment-for keeping the tooth instead of pulling it out). I didn't understand why this dog's owner wanted the complicated practice for him or her. I also thought if this dog could choose the solutions for his or her tooth problem, which ways did he or she choose? . I just want to say that love and take care our pets are good, but it should have a limit.

_________
References
US spending on pets 'passes $50bn'. (2012, March 3). BBC News. Retrieved March 4,2012 from http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-17243094

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great blog for me today, I really love and laugh with your discussions.
    I am a dog lover too. I have 3 dogs in my Chiang Mai hometown and I miss these dogs so much.
    I used to send my dogs to veterinary hospital. I found that the dog is a heart of its owner. Veterinarians should not cure only a dog but they must to cure a heart of its owner in the mental and spiritual ways. I really respect many veterinarians for their best services. And I do not feel bad for pay all expensive treatment costs which is more expensive than human treatment costs.
    Moreover your article remind me about my old note. I wrote that trustwealthy, support and good listener are characteristics of a dog.
    In addition, I asked my first question in our class that "Do you like cat?" may be because I would like to know your background which can explain from your pets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not dog lover but some my family member does. I have 3 dogs in my house; Golden, White terrier and Pomeranian. I like how dogs are intelligent, it can follow our order. I only play with my dogs but I didn't take care of them so I didn't know how much my family spent money for our dogs.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.