Friday 8 March 2013

Delicious but "Early Death Link"

Processed meats seem to be dangerous for us, driving us to an early graveyard with bowel cancer and heart problems.
According to a research, which was wrote in BMC Medicine, salt and chemicals used to preserve the meal may damage health. Moreover, one of the team who work in World Cancer Research Dr. Rachel Thompson said “ our research, publish in 2007 and subsequently confirm in 2011, shows strong evident that eating processed meat, such as bacon, ham, hot dogs, salami and some sausages, increase the risk getting bowel cancer.”
“You are what you eat.” This seems to be true for me since eating habits really influence to our health. In the a fast-pace society, Bangkok, for example, people tend to have fast food to reduce their meal time and gain time to work. The trend of food has been changed from traditional food which is very healthy, combining big amount of vegetable and low-fat meal, to hamburger, hotdogs, pizza and fried chicken. The exotic fast food restaurants like KFC and Macdonald are abundant and becoming popular for local people. The consequence is that many people are now suffering from diseases, which are never discovered in the past such as cancer. To me, it’s interesting that among the better quality of life of human from technology, people can’t really not increase their average life expectancy as the food they eat is more and more artificial.  
However, I cannot ague that fast food like hotdogs is really convenient and delicious. It not only can be kept for a long time, but also it is easy to adapt to many kinds of food such as pizza, burger, fried rice or event noodle. Combined with a lot of oil and some of special ingredients, hotdogs are soft and testy for most people. Besides, According to Prof Sabine Rohrmann, from the University of Zurich, “High meat consumption, especially processed meat, is associated with less healthy lifestyle.” This means we cannot just blame processed meat that it is the 100% cause of diseases.
Finally, I think consumers like us are the people who have to decide whether we want to stay healthy by avoiding a yummy meal or we just get it and see what will happen.


Gallagher, J (2013, March 7). Processed meat ‘early death’ link. BBC News health and science. Retrieved March 7, 2013 from http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-21682779

5 comments:

  1. as my last name tells you, my ancestry is Italian, and when I was growing up, we used to make our own Italian style salamis, sausages and hams. I have to admit, I loved, and still love, those processed and preserved meats.

    On the other hand, I can't stand the insipid, tasteless muck that is served up in McDonalds, KFC and places like that. It's so bland, mushy and without taste that I can't understand how anyone but babies or the senile old whose teeth are long gone would want to it.

    But I enjoyed Bar's post not only for the memories it bought back of messing around in the local butcher's cold room, using our hands to mix the minced pork and fat with garlic and other herbs, and then extruding it into intestines, but also for a couple of other excellent points that Bar makes by applying critical thinking to the issues raised.

    I'll let others have a chance to comment on those first. At least one of them seems to me to relate to Pin's response post, "Eat More Processed Meat: Cause of Die Young", which she published at 1:20 last night, beating Bar's 2:49 AM posting by a little.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that it is convenient to grasp such fast food for a quick meal. Also, the fast food restaurants normally open in an early morning and be closed in the late night. Additionally, they are located many places, especially in down town area. Therefore, they can easily attract the people who have rush lifestyles. I think they know the results of having those food for a long time but they have no choice as the traditional restaurants cannot serve their meal in a small amount of time. Moreover, the fast food restaurant trends to be a hang out place for teenagers as the price of food is not that high, so they can afford it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It reminds me to the reality movie "super size me", the man in movie do the experiment to eat McDonald's for 30 days three meals a day by himself. He start the day with fast food and always adds up the size from small to super size. The results come out with high blood pressure, increasing fat mass, gain more weight, mood swing, tired easily, and so on. The results are all negative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that too! And it really scared me, I love McDonald's french fries, pizza, junk food so much!!! But I can not eat it everyday, otherwise I will carry too much useless fat on it and suffering from diseases. Finally I found a new household appliance named airfryer. It use without a drop of oil(maybe a little bit but it definitely less than McDonald)and like fresh to me and it is easy to use. This makes me still eating junk foods and persuade myself it is much health. Even all the results are all negative but I still quite into it.

      Delete
  4. As I am a student, I know how early do students have to get up. They have to go school extremely early every morning due to the traffic jam, and usually have their breakfast on their cars. The breakfast on car is easily prepared, for example, one piece of bread and one box of milk, so it is hard to contain all essential nutrition in that kind of breakfast. People nowadays seem to be careless for what they eat, they have no time to think whether it is healthy or not. I think it is high time people thought of what they eat.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.