Sunday 24 March 2013

Has Anyone Ever Gone Shopping?

When is the last time you go shopping? Which type of shopping do you prefer? Online shopping? Eye shopping? Or hanging around variety of shopping centres? 

According to Denise Winterman's article in “Shopping: The New Tactics to Get You Spending”, retailers have design marketing strategies to promote their products and services and focus on awareness of customers’ behaviors. Shoppers should become concerned about stores’s tactics to keep their wallets or purses safe.

A massive number of retailers today use Social media – Facebook, Twitter and Instagram to connect with customers – from small businesses like Khokowmunkais (rice steamed with chicken restaurant opposite Charmsquare) to global brands like MUJI and Adidas. These websites influence buyers who go online and see them. The more we know about the products, the more likely we spend money on them. I read from the magazine that social media users who see stuffs from retail shops are more likely to visit retail sites. Because they can bring people closer to products and also directly provide a broad range of information to customers.

I remember the days when I was in school, staying offline more than online. I wandered around a department store near my school for many hours with friends and easily buy nothing but a scoop of icecream and Sanrio stationaries. I hardly have feeling like this today since I rather check everything I can before I buy something. Price, profile and review, for example, help me to decide which one I should buy or which one I should not. With access to internet, I can also buy everything from home or by smartphone. Technology brings the shops to us wherever and whenever we are. The options are unlimited. I sometimes buy books and dvd box sets online since the prices are cheaper than shops. Normally, online shops I buy offer lower prices because they don't have to pay rent and sales people. Nevertheless, I think retail shopping is the best way to go for clothes because I am able to touch them and try them on. I'll usually just go pick it up at stores.

Recently, I have addicted to buy stickers in Line - free texts and voice call application for smartphone. Since they are so attractive and sometimes precisely create 
emotional cartoons, which I love to send to my friends instead of typing. Again, I can simply buy it from app store online. I admit that I get an addiction to shop online on things that looks cool such as iphone case and plugy.

However, there are some ugly truths of shopping online. Some online shops promote elegant pictures of their products which are disguised by photo retouching program. This is not on the spot but the advertising industry always has been a exquisite lure for people. Occasionally, Instagram - an application that transforms a photo by filter, turns the picture of my simple river-view from my backyard into Lonely planet shot of Tropical Holiday in Thailand. I guess it is also true in some photos of products or hotels' rooms advertising.

5 comments:

  1. I don't know what stickers are, but Sorn's comment made me think of the six-year-old boy who was visiting with his family today. I was very glad that I have not enabled Google Wallet shopping on my Android tablet - thankfully there is no shortage of free games and things for him to enjoy.

    I think I'm pretty much like Sorn. I don't much like shopping, and these days, I either buy online, or check it out first, walk into the shop I've found has it, buy the product I want and leave: this can usually be done in a minutes.

    The exception for me is not clothes shopping, which doesn't excite me a lot, but food shopping. I love wandering around browsing cheeses, olive oils, hams, pâtés, fruit, and the like. I don't mind snacking in the process. If I'm not with six-year-olds, who tend to prefer the toy section, I spend most of my time on visits to Siam Paragon (weekly) and Silom Complex (daily) in the food halls.

    And now I've revealed the slightly piggy element of my character.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And as always, I like the way Sorn mixes her discussion of serious issues with lighter, more personal details in her responses.

    A most enjoyable new blog post to accompany a late espresso and nibbles - a selection of nuts, dried fruits and cheeses from today's shopping expedition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It doesn't matter what the goods is,I usually check detail about things that I want to buy from the internet first before I go to buy it or order it from the online shop website because people usually share their comments on the things that they already bought it in the internet.

    When I have no idea about things which I want to buy, I will do a little research on its. If I sometime cannot find any comment about its, I will post my question about its on the forums such as Pantip.com. It depends on what kinds of thing that I want to ask. If I want to buy new mobile phones or gadgets, I will post my question in MBK room.

    I truly believe that most of teenagers in Thailand usually use the internet for searching many reviews or comments before they buy items as I do because this is an easy quick reference guide to buy something.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I usually check what I want through the internet first for make sure that when I want purchase something it has a high standard enough,not a pirate one, unlike,food which I usually wander around and compare the price in the market or supermarket.I got a very high value one time when I was finished university,I wanted to buy a new digital camera I just walked in to the shop without searching online to compare which is should be the best and high quality or reasonable price. I decided to buy one by stimulate from both my freind and the onwer until now that was a wrong decision because it is not good enought even take a simple photo.Any kinds of product nowsdays most of young people always search for a review by internet first which I think it is the best solution to prevent selling fake product also you can find the cheapest place to buy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The online shopping reminds of the fruit blender I just bought. I took about a few days to reach me after I paid online. However, when I used it, it didn't function efficiently. Therefore, I called the product owner in order to tell them that I desired to return this blender. Unfortunately, there was no one pick up my call, even though, I kept calling many times. At last some one picked up the call and put me through the line to another person and anther person until I could contact the responsible person. As I told them that I wanted to return this stuff, they assented and would assign a messenger to come pick up. But the important thing is they told me that the returned money with a reduction of freight charged would be transferred to my account in 30 days! Consequently, it changes my perspective of buying thing that needs to be try on to be better at the shop.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.