Friday 8 March 2013

Pay for their intention

I rapidly think about the reason why Microsoft has to pay for this charge which it might be caused by accidental  technical error and my second through for this news is that the technical error might be occurred by their intention for banning other web browsers.

According to "Microsoft fined by European Commission over web browser" article, Microsoft company has been fined 561m euros ($731m; £484m) for missing promote other's web browser bands in its product for 14 months.

From my experience which I used to study software development subject in my university before, I decided to believe that this technical error was intended to protect its web browser software proportion  and discriminate other's web browsers because of the process of software development and their profession. 

Microsoft company is a gigantic software developing company in the world and the company can generate its revenue approximately $7.4bn in last year. I surely that they complied many standards of software development such as CMMi  and they can hire thousands professional programmers and developers to do their professional works . Thus, it must have process of software development. 

In process of software development, any change that developers did in their update path usually has been tested for many times since they finished codding part. The test could take many days or it might be months before the developer will release it because they have to ensure that the new update path will not do any damage or change other thing which the developer did not intend to change it.

Therefore, I concluded that they intended to do this mistake in order to eliminate their competitors in web browser software market.

Moreover, I found that the update software paths which are usually improved many benefits and abilities in many software have sometime caused new problems, for example, Chrome browser application in App store. Last week, I found the new software update for Chrome browser application in App store which it was promoted in its application to notify their user for updating its software. After I decided to update it, the web browser failed to start itself when I push its icon on my iPad device. The result of this, I had used other web browser for a couple day after it failed to start the program. Yesterday, I found the way to fix it  and I fixed it  by myself. The cause of this problem  was announced by Google Developing team  and they will fix this problem in their next update path which none knows when it will come.

__________
Reference
Microsoft fined by European Commission over web browser. (2013, March 6) BBC News Technology Retrieved March 8, 2013 from http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21684329

4 comments:

  1. The Chrome updates for Android seem to be working fine. Mine updated again last night and I haven't noticed any problems. But the software that increasingly supports, and even drives, our lives is now so complex that I guess the odd glitch is almost inevitable. Still, I'd rather have the occasional annoyance than not have the amazing joys of modern technology. I'm always wondering what is coming in the next six months. At the moment, I'm hanging out for the next version of the Samsung Galaxy S - I'm very happy with v.3, which I use far more than I would have thought when I first made the move to a smartphone, but now I'm addicted and want more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An interesting issue that I thought Bas's post raises is whether government interference to force companies like Microsoft to support their competitors is just or unjust. What do think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that's enough of the quick morning coffee response writing.

      What are you thinking about things this morning?

      Delete
  3. To make more capitalist for market, I would say government should not have any nonintervention with market.

    However, in this case, I think that it is justified to fine some companies which they are not niche player in the market. This punishment seems not only pay for their unfair behavior, but it also for the big mistake which they did not check their update path carefully.
    This will be a good example for other companies to play fairly.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.