Wednesday 20 March 2013

Do we know what we know?

As Bas notes in his post "Not only in the movie world, but also be true in the real world", some people "know" that when they have a cold, antibiotics are the appropriate course of action (Gu Mai Bok, 2013). Unfortunately, they are wrong: they know no such thing. Our knowledge of the world is often much less certain, far more error prone and subject to correction than we would like it to be.

The BBC News story "Abbey painting 'is Rembrandt self portrait' " reports that, based on more recent physical and circumstantial evidence, leading experts on the Dutch painter Rembrandt are again changing their minds and attributing a portrait of the himself to the artist, thereby making "this portrait ... one of [the] most important works of art ... in the National Trust's collection" ("Abbey Painting", 2013, 'Most Important Works' sect.).

As we notice in the very first sentence of the BBC's report, the modal verb may plays a crucial role. The experts have very strong evidence to support their attribution of the painting to Rembrandt, but that evidence is not so strong as to support the claim that it is a Rembrandt. So, do we now know it's a Rembrandt? Last month,  the experts thought that they knew it was by a pupil of the master, but now they don't know that. And as that crucially important may tells us, they are less than certain about the new opinion that has made Britain's National Gallery so very happy, and greatly increased the value of the painting. So, do we, do they, now know that it is in fact a Rembrandt? I think that we do know this, but that we might be wrong. And the experts are sensibly having even more sophisticated tests done to help decrease the doubt, but I don't think it's possible to remove it: we can probably (hedging, hedging) never be certain as to who painted this great work of art.

But I am sure it's a great painting, however uncertain we might be as to it's actual creator. I used to spend hours poring over and copying Rembrandt self-portraits when I was trying to learn to draw and paint. Unfortunately, drawing and painting, like most skills, reading and writing for example, require lots of regular practice to develop, and this set of skills lost out to other demands on my time, so that my artistic ability is about on a par with my handwriting. Perhaps one day I'll work on those again, but not today. However, the effort I made for a couple of years did help me to see and appreciate paintings and drawings much better than I previously had. It's a bit like my flute playing - I was never going to make a concert flautist, but the hours of practise in my much younger days did a lot to enable me to better enjoy music, although these days I rarely listen to any, preferring to spend my time reading: I've loved a good argument ever since primary school.

__________
References
Abbey painting 'is Rembrandt self portrait'. (2013, March 19). BBC News Entertainment & Arts. Retrieved March 20 from http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21827478

Gu Mai Bok (2013, March 19). Not only in the movie world, but also be true in the real world. Class Blog - AEP at AUA. Retrieved March 20, 2013 from http://peteraep.blogspot.com/2013/03/not-only-in-movie-world-but-also-true.html

2 comments:

  1. I was able to use italics for three different reasons (and resisted the temptation to find a Dutch word to throw in), and quotation marks for three different reasons - perhaps I should have added a definition of know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And in order fit the quotation in the summary into the grammar of my sentence, I needed to use the ellipses ( ... ) and [brackets] that we also see the writer using in "The Anthropological View of Religion" in Quest (Hartmann & Blass, 2007, pp. 23 - 25).

      Reference
      Hartmann, P. & Blass, L. (2007). Quest 3 Reading and Writing (2nd ed.). New York: McGraw Hill.

      Delete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.