Wednesday 11 November 2015

And next the DVD?

Now that I am no longer young, I'm sometimes reminded of the good old days of my childhood, of rushing home after school to watch Adventure Island on our wondrous new TV, or of buying a bag of lollies after mass on Sundays: 5 cents would get a choice selection of cigarettes, teeth, mint leaves, milk bottles, and other delights. Those days are long gone.

Zoe Klienman of the BBC, which itself still has archival material on Betamax tapes, writes in "Sony says goodbye to Betamax tapes" (2015) that Sony, which stopped manufacturing the machines some years ago, has now decided to also stop producing Betamax format tape, which was always less popular than the competing VHS format for recording video to play back at any time.

I'm not exactly sure how my mind got to Adventure Island as I read Klienman's short article. It was probably the connection with TV and thinking about things long gone. When I was in primary school, there were no such things as video tape in any format. I don't think it even occurred to me and my first grade mates that it might one day be possible to record what was on the TV. It was possible to record audio. In the 1960s (I said I wasn't young), tape recorders were large machines that recorded sound onto large spools of tape. They were very, very expensive and definitely not portable or convenient. And our TV was black and white. Colour TV was another thing still in the future. Inspired by my memories of things past, I did what anyone would do today: I googled. And there was Adventure Island, conveniently available, at least in short bits, on YouTube.

Thankfully, I had no illusions about the artistic or other merits of Adventure Island, so I thought it was probably safe to watch a few seconds of the clip. Although I found the full 30 minute episode on YouTube, I only inserted the one minute excerpt - I'm sure my audience will think that's enough to get the general idea about the sort of rubbish I loved when I was a child. But it was wildly popular with my friends and apparently lots of other primary school kids at the time because it was entertaining, and after a hard day with the nuns, all we wanted was to be entertained. Actually, as I watched the clip, it seemed also to be teaching, or trying to teach, some moral lessons, which certainly wasn't why my classmates and I watched it, but perhaps it had some influence. I really don't know - I certainly did not reflect on the moral implications of the content of the things I watched when I was in school. Or did I?

Another show, also awful in different ways, that I loved, this time in high school, was another Australian series called Number 96. And of course it, too, is on YouTube. This time I chose a slightly longer excerpt, and discovered an amazing thing in the notes on the YouTube information for it - this episode, number 649, broadcast in 1974, was the first one ever in colour! Of course, we didn't have a colour TV at that time, but I guess my mother got one a bit later, some time before I finished high school.

Actually, my mother was a bit naughty by the standards of the time, because Number 96 was pretty revolutionary and showed late at night. I think about 10:00 PM, when all good school children should have been in bed, or at least doing homework, definitely not watching TV shows undermining society's morals by showing nude young women, by presenting gay men as decent people who were not effeminate, and by showing real life as if it were ... real life.

Happily, despite all the warnings from miserable moral guardians and other self-appointed dictators trying to control what Aussies watched on TV, Australian society did not die or become full of sex maniacs. The opposite happened, and scandalous TV shows such as Number 96 probably helped Australian society to move to make moral progress away from the bad old ways of thinking that had strictly controlled, or tried to despotically control, people's thoughts, speech and behaviour.

Australia had not yet got Beta or VHS tapes, but those and other changes were on the way in 1974, and they all made life better. I'll pass on Adventure Island, but I might actually watch a full episode of Number 96 to recall those far off days of my early teenage years when my wonderful mum broke the social rules and let me stay up late watching TV full of sex and other things that reflected life as it was, sort of, in Australia in the 1970s.

I wrote the title for this post, which now seems not very appropriate, because my initial response was to write about how my young nieces nephews have never seen things like music records or cassette tapes, but I rather enjoyed the distractions of old time Aussie TV. LP records, cassette tapes, CDs and DVDs can wait, perhaps they will come up in a comment, along with Michael Jackson's Thriller, taking me back to my late days at university, and which Klienman also mentions.

___________
Reference
Klienman, Z. (2015, November 10). Sony says goodbye to Betamax tapes. BBC News. Retrieved from http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-34776424

1 comment:

  1. Retrospective topics usually interest me as they
    kind of present me to other aspects I never, or impossible to ,experience it first hand. There is some sense of enjoyment in comparing current technology and that of in the past, considering how far the world have gone. So please write more about the past story.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.