Sunday 15 November 2015

The skyline of freedom

One of the most exciting experience in childhood or adolescence is the first time visiting a seashore, tasting the sea water and creating the sand castle. How long has this happen in tradition. BBC Culture has a quick tour of the invention of seaside perception in the series of the interesting paintings.


According to “The seaside: A modern invention”, the seaside is a space of the society and technology movement to make a value or different meaning as a result of time and people. From the few high society vacation house on the seaside limited for ruling class in a long time ago, More and more people can use the seashore as well from the change of society; moreover, they also create the meaning of lifestyle and art from a different culture and point of view.
My most impressed seaside is Bangpu recreational center. There have a lot of seagulls and mangrove forest, although the seashore is not that beautiful but the breeze and the landscape is very relaxing. It is not far from Bangkok, so you can drive within two hours from the central Bangkok to face the sea breeze and pure nature. My father took me on the boat to the other side of the bank and visit the cave among the bamboo forest. It is very calm, peaceful and mysterious experience at the same time.

I have known more about its background later when I has grown up. It is built and promoted in the Marshall Plaek Piboonsongkram government after Thai reforming to modernization, so the activity like wearing a hat or even recreation activity is promoted as a state policy in order to form a new “Thai” from the “Siam” traditional society and economy. 

Don’t be boring about the history because telling about the seashore also is a reflection of the society changing. The seascape emerging in popular culture need quite new invention of society. To visit the seashore, you need traveling and leisure time which can happen in modern societies after the labours have been protected their rights by the government welfare and can transport by the state’s transportation infrastructure. It’s not a easy job like building a sand castle to make the seashore became a destination for mass.

I hope that some day we can develop our resources and infrastructure of our country more wisely to serve more people without damaging the natural environment, so we can have more public spaces to express our creativity and identity for our better quality lives in modern world.

___________
Reference
Farago, J. (2015, June 4) The seaside: A modern invention. BBC Culture
Retrieved from http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20150604-they-invented-the-seaside 

8 comments:

  1. I don't think I've been to the seaside since around ... 1990. Like Union, as a child, I loved it when my parents took us to the beach. It was usually on a Sunday after mass in summer. The beach was fairly close to our home, about a 15 minute drive. I was never very good at swimming, but messed around in the water with my brothers and sisters, built castles in the sand and explored the seashore. Even the pull of a strong current was exciting, if a bit scary.

    My sister and her family who visited Thailand last term live in the town on that same beach we used to visit as children, and while they were here, spent much of their time at Huahin. I think they love beaches more than I do, but maybe it's time I had another visit. Except thinking about it the things that immediately came to mind were: the annoying sand in my sandals or shoes (go barefoot?), the sun burning my skin (never a worry in childhood, although it should have been. Wear a broad hat?), and the absence of ... the city life I love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe your life's environment can't be more nature anymore. Your environment is like a fantasy of the middle class, the farm/the beach/ the fresh food. Your family is the real hipster, haha.

      Anyway, I love your story. It's very dreamy, while you think it's annoying. I love black comedy, it's very entertaining.

      Delete
  2. I come from the south of Thailand, so I grew up with beaches. I am not really excited when people say "Let's go to the beach"; except beaches that have clear water and marine life that I can see, such as beaches in Krabi. There are many activities to do besides swimming; for example, snorkeling and kayaking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK...I need to consult you about a trip to the south. I'm planning to have a trip going to beach but still no idea where would be the best in both aesthetic and cost matters. Which province do you come from, may I know it?

      Delete
    2. Yes! We love to listen to your story, if you feel comfortable. How about your food and your favorite seafood? If you don't have so much time, we would forward to reading this in your next blog, haha.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have often heard about Bang Pu for along time but never visit there once. The telling is from elderly people-40 and over; they always boast that Bang Pu is a popular recreational place for people of their ages, the youngs going in a couple and having party there. It provokes me an image of 60s-70s lifestyle I have watched in dramas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely, Nori! It's that period exactly. Don't forget your hat and dress in proper costume, haha.

      Delete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.