Saturday 14 November 2015

To do good under a mask

A muscular man with tight-fitting clothes, showing vivid masculinity and a cool cape making mighty effect is a typical “superhero” in my sense. Who are they, where are they from, why do they possess such super-powers? - all keep me being in touch with their stories.

Natalie Haynes from BBC makes points in “Why comic books are more radical than you think” that film industry of comic-inspired superhero falls behind in publishing the original concept of superheroes in conventional comic where they, indeed, exist in every corner of society regardless of race, religion, gender or even sexual preference. In the other words, the films intentionally predominantly portray straight white man as an ideal figure of the superhero; the absence of societal complexity uneducates audiences the world as it is.
Midnighter, an active gay superhero character
My passion towards superheroes exist after firstly watching Batman film – Batman & Robin (1997), with the vivid memory of Mr. Freeze; then, I became a big fan of DC comics and later Marvel.  What has been catching my interest in Batman is not actually  Batman but all of his bizarre and storyful super-villain characters. They are extraordinary in their own ways, being sophisticate in background stories; for example, Penguin had been being bullied during childhood due to his physical appearance which eventually  drives his evil mind, or The Scarecrow, an intelligent psychiatrist, always terrify victims by using psychological tactics and phobias. Classic of Batman is at a stealthy and detective style of assaulting, as the name ‘dark knight’ deriving from. 

I was a bit surprised, and disappointed, at first to know that Batman can never accompany with X-MEN - my another favorite superhero team since they are from different ‘universe’.  Not long have I discovered the names Marvel and DC; it then led me to get two separated encyclopedias for both universes. Eventually, I could, as far as I have read and observed, distinguish the primary difference of them: Marvel characters and stories are prone to be more fancy and boundariless in imagination-no constrains in physic law we currently know; while, DC tends to create characters based on pragmatic aspects and dimensions – Batman possesses no super powers, yet from intensive practices with human master.

My expectation is placed highly on Black Panther, the first Marvel African superhero who has his own standalone film; nonetheless, Suicide Squad from DC is not less interesting than, the super-villain team forming up to handle a specific event. These signal blazing a trail on superheroes film industry.       
I already found myself difficult to withdraw from the passion in superheroes, also no point of doing so.

___________
Reference
Haynes, N. 2015, November 5. Why comic books are more radical than you think. BBC News. Retrieved from http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20151105-why-comic-books-are-more-radical-than-you-think

7 comments:

  1. Mr Freeze? Is that the same Batman film that stars George Clooney, as Pong has just mentioned in his comment on Na's post?

    I loved Batman as a child. It was one of the things I looked forward to after school. I'm not sure if it was the tight fitting clothes, with his underpants outside his trousers, that attracted me or the stories. Perhaps a bit of both.

    I've also enjoyed the films, although I don't think they are as good as the original TV series. But to be honest, I dare not watch the TV series again because I suspect it might not be as great as I remember: my artistic and other standards were much lower in primary school than they later became, and some happy memories are best left unexamined.

    Arnold Schwarzenegger as Mr Freeze was one of the best Batman films, although I also enjoyed the Christian Bale version of Batman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After the superhero film Ant-Man was released recently, I have heard that they will make another superhero film called Aquaman. Before watching Ant-Man, I did not think it was a good movie as there are so many movies about superheros with superpowers, such as Batman, Superman, The X-Men, Thor, Captain America and so on. Do they have any idea left for another superhero movie, especially after Ant-man? What kind of superhero is Ant-Man? However, after watching it, I was surprised: it is actually a well-done movie and I enjoyed watching it. Now I am curious what the Aquaman movie will be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really? I will be so glade if they are making Aquaman. He got very interesting stories in comics. Aquaman is from DC universe, the same one with Batman so the film must be quite realistic and less fantasy than Marvel for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think, I watched almost Marvel's movies.The superhero (in a mask) movies are always same plot. A main actress works or knows a leading actor but she doesn't know he is a superhero.Then she is kidnapped by monster or miscreant and superhero protect her from dangerous.The end she knows who is superhero and love him. It always same plot but I still love these movies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe your dream can become true, Batman can join in Marvel comic. The business is like that. They can do anything to take the profit.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.