Wednesday 2 March 2016

Did you know that Italy doesn't have Starbucks yet?

Source background
In the BBC News article "Starbucks to open first coffee shop in Italy" (2016) we are told that  Starbucks, whose founder was inspired to start the chain in the US after he saw Italians enjoying their coffee culture on a trip there in the 1980s, is planning to open it's first store in Italy next year.

_______________________________________ 

My Yes/No question is:
Did you know that Italy doesn't have Starbucks yet?

My answer is:
Starbucks in central Sydney
No, I didn't. I had just sat down for my own morning coffee and was browsing the latest news stories when the title of this article caught my eye. I had assumed that Starbucks was now everywhere, certainly in every developed European country. It's in Bangkok, Beijing and Sydney, so it seemed odd that it wouldn't be in Italy.

In fact, I almost never buy Starbuck's coffee, preferring the stronger, larger fresh brews I can make at home, but I know that Starbucks is attractive to many people, and I do sometimes enjoy a cup with friends at one of the Starbucks stores within a few minutes walk of my home. I don't think I've ever been to the one at Chamchuri Square, but it certainly looks to be doing a good business, and some of my colleagues are regulars there.
___________
Reference
Starbucks to open first coffee shop in Italy. (2016, February 29). BBC News. Retrieved from http://www.bbc.com/news/business-35684831

1 comment:

  1. Me neither. The first branch! Really! This article makes me surprised because I have been to several EU countries like Denmark, France, Germany, Switzerland etc., 9 countries not including Italy, and I have seen many branches of Starbucks there. So, I have also assumed that there should be Starbucks’ branches in almost every EU countries like Italy.

    In Thailand, even though it is a popular coffee shop, I’ve never bought even a cup of coffee from any branches at all. Regardless of the taste, I think the prices seem unreasonable for me. I just drink coffee for keeping me fresh and keep me away from drowsiness. Most of the instant coffee products are fine for me.

    I guess Thai people seem to enjoy drinking coffee due to different reasons, not only for its taste, such as a social trend, appealing promotions and so on. Someone also goes to Starbucks because this place is like a venue for business or other special meeting and relaxing.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.