Saturday 19 March 2016

Do you prefer taking the stairs to taking the elevator after you read this article?

Source background
According to the ScienceDaily "Want a younger brain? Stay in school -- and take the stairs" we are told that keep taking the stairs in daily life and educating in school are some useful methods to keep your brain younger. Not only making your strong and healthy body but also improve your brain's health. The article tells "... they compared brain volume to the participants' reported number of flights of stairs climbed, and years of schooling completed.
Results were clear: the more flights of stairs climbed, and the more years of schooling completed, the younger the brain", and the researchers found that "...brain age decreases by 0.95 years for each year of education, and by 0.58 years for every daily flight of stairs climbed"
_______________________________________ 

My Yes/No question is:
Do you prefer taking the stairs to taking the elevator after you read this article?

My answer is:
Yes, I do prefer taking the stairs, actually, I have never known that keep taking the stairs can help the brain younger, I know only it can decrease cholesterol and weight. it depends on how many floors I going to? or is it rush hour? Normally, I always use the stairs when without any conditions. However, some people don't think carefully about it because there are many ways to build up the brain younger such as keep learning Math or taking some medicine, so they ignore to do and elevator can respond to their comfortable more.

___________
Reference
Want a younger brain? Stay in school -- and take the stairs. (March 9, 2016). ScienceDaily. Retrieved from https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/03/160309125520.htm

8 comments:

  1. No, I do not. I am extremely lazy. But if it is only one or two floor walk, I will take stairs. We live in a fast-paced society, thus taking stair is not really words in my dictionary. And also walking up consume a lot of energy, which will make me feel even more lethargic in the activity that I am going to do later on. For example, I will definitely for asleep if I walk from the first floor to the 21st floor of the building. Of course, I will definitely sleep in Mr. Peter's class if I do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although I know the benefits, I tend to do the same as Non, except that I do sometimes walk down a flight of stairs.
      I was reminded just a couple of weeks ago of how seriously unhealthy I'd become. I get lots of exercise (I think) moving around in the classroom, and I always walk to and from walk, but having forgotten some handouts, I ran from B3 to the teachers' room and back again, and that really did leave me alarmingly out of breath. I felt like I'd run a marathon.

      A couple of my friends enjoy (is that really the right verb?) entering vertical marathons, for example running from the ground floor to the top of something like Baiyoke Tower. I'd be out after the first few flights of stairs. But it definitely sounds great. I'll get into shape ... tomorrow.

      Delete
  2. No, I don't. Although I know that walk or exercise is good for my health, I never try to do it because I don't like to have a lot of sweat. Moreover, I think that the more I exercise, the more I will be sleepy.

    That's why I don't like to take any exercise although I know that it have a lot of advantages.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you ask for the preference, I'd rather say no. Normally, I climb flights of stairs everyday. Since my new school will have 12 floors and no elevator is allowed for the students, I'll already have to walk 24 flights of stairs(2 flights each floor). But if I'm not actually in a hurry or need for use of elevators, I'd actually be climbing stairs everyday. So, I'd prefer not to walk every flight of stairs just for my health.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course, Yes. Not only a flight of stairs, I climb up a long escalator, over two stories, of MRT Sam Yaan every morning when I have class. I wondered if the article is telling about me; Stay in school and take the stairs for a younger brain. The exercise of stepping foot like jumping rope, trampoline or dashing between teacher's room and B3 will stimulate our brain well as I hear that the meridian flow of foot straightly connects to the brain according to the Chinese medicine. I also want to wash some big materials like sheet by stepping feet on it for my brain, but my family stop me saying "it's modern world now, please use the washing machine."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of course, Yes. Not only a flight of stairs, I climb up a long escalator, over two stories, of MRT Sam Yaan every morning when I have class. I wondered if the article is telling about me; Stay in school and take the stairs for a younger brain. The exercise of stepping foot like jumping rope, trampoline or dashing between teacher's room and B3 will stimulate our brain well as I hear that the meridian flow of foot straightly connects to the brain according to the Chinese medicine. I also want to wash some big materials like sheet by stepping feet on it for my brain, but my family stop me saying "it's modern world now, please use the washing machine."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jom topic here and your comments are a great introduction to the next topic we will look at in Quest - a very happy coincidence.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would not change my walking style, keeping it as usual. I will not taking the stair if I want to go to a high floor (5th onwards); rather, I prefer taking the elevator because it consumes my energy a lot. Typically, I am satisfied with my taking the stairs (only for a few floors) every day in my home or other places. From December 31, 2015 until now, I have gone up 732 floors or 8 floors per day (counted by my wearable tracker). I think the record makes me satisfied with my taking the stairs, thereby no need to change my walking behavior to get more floors for brain’s health. It’s enough for me.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.