Tuesday 15 March 2016

Do you prefer dogs to cats?

Source background
"West Highland Terrier Devon wins Crufts Best In Show" tells us the winners of this year's Crufts, England's premier show for dogs and dog owners which celebrates its 125th birthday this year (2016).
_______________________________________ 

My Yes/No question is:
Do you prefer dogs to cats? 

My answer is:
Yes, I do. My family has always had dogs. When I was a child, we had two working dogs kelpies, who were also pets we played with, and a pet only pet, Trixie the fox terrier, although Trixie was also useful at ratting when the vermin invaded the hen houses. There was none of that acceptance of rats as comrades that we see in chapter 1 of Animal Farm.

Pembroke Welsh corgi at Crufts
But what caught my eye in the BBC's report was not the overall show winner, but the picture of the corgi, who reminded me of my grandmother's dogs. She always had a few corgis and a large, long haired collie. I guess as a child, they were a bit more exotic than the dogs we had at home, like most things at Nana's place were exotic. She also had a couple of large, fat cats, but they seemed very much like Orwell's cat: interested only in eating and sleeping in a warm spot, and no fun to play with.
___________
Reference
West Highland Terrier Devon wins Crufts Best In Show. (2016, March 14). BBC News. Retrieved from http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-35800182

13 comments:

  1. Yes, I do.I prefer dog because dog is man's best friend.I also like cat.They are cute and clean but having dogs is more fun.They are loyal and always pleased to see me.I think training dogs is much easier than cats.
    Now I have two dogs.They are my family. Whenever I feel lonely they're always stay by my side and play with me everyday. I've never had a cat but I use to play with them before, they aren't as friendly as dogs and I think they're a little bit selfish too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And what about Orwell's dogs? Do you like them?

      Delete
    2. I don't know what Orwell's dog is like. But if he don't do harm to me, I would like him.

      Delete
    3. I mean, the dogs in Animal Farm who loyally serve the pigs to enforce the rule of law and maintain obedience to authority in society.

      Delete
    4. I think they are not wrong due to their loyalty which is the natural habit of dogs but if the dogs in Orwell's story are clever enough to think of reasons; then they are wrong for me.

      Delete
    5. I think they are not wrong due to their loyalty which is the natural habit of dogs but if the dogs in Orwell's story are clever enough to think of reasons; then they are wrong for me.

      Delete
    6. That sounds useful for Jom, who I'm sure will appreciate your comment here.

      Delete
  2. Yes, I do. For me, dogs are the best in meaning of friends. they are sincere and honest to their own. Personally, I especially love "Saiberian Husky". This breed is elegant and playful, they always alert all time. However, I love cats too, but not much cause they are introvert, they live in their own little world. Come to me when they want things then leave me alone. Ultimately, dogs can protect when you are in trouble like a harmful, but cats will do nothing other than run away before you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually like them both, but I would say that I prefer cats to dog. As my mother always bring dogs and cats from the temple into my house, I have been with many cats and dogs already. The reason I prefer cats to dogs is that I have never had any bad memories about cats, but I had about dogs as my old dog, Thong Daeng, bit me when I was in Primary school. Furthermore, cats in my house have never been annoying as the dogs do. My current three dogs always bark whether or not there anything to bark at...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I do. I like their cat for their personality which is they know what they want, quite determined.

    Has anyone heard about the relationship between petting the cat and the incidence of schizophrenia? That's very shockeddd news.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I prefer dogs to cats. The only reason is that I am allergic to cats' fur. Dogs look slightly cuter but I do not have strong passion about them. Animals are troublesome as we need to take care of them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That reminds me to think the dead dogs of my family. We spent time more than 10 years living and playing together every day. Sadly, I and my family cannot see them anymore except in our memory, dreams or pictures. Although they left forever, our family has new members, lovely cats, to be new good friends who make me and my family happy. However, I would answer that I prefer dogs to cats. Now I missed them so much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I do prefer dog than cat. Personally, I never have my own dogs or cats. By the way, from many sources, I think dogs are more tame, loyal and honest than cat.

    Moreover, I saw a lot of cats ignore human which are different than dogs.

    That's why, I prefer dogs to cats.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.