Monday 14 March 2016

Do you like to live forever?

Source background 
According to "The immortalist: Uploading the mind to a computer" (2016)Domitry Itsukov, a Russian internet millionaire, says that a human brain works like a computer and it can be copied in a machine.  Then he is going to make our lives immortal by uploading a human brain to a computer within next 30 years; we can all live forever.  It also means he creates multiple bodies and his consciousness is just moving from one to another.  He is quite serious and 100% confident it will happen, otherwise he would not have started the business, he puts.  He is now 35 years old and in another 35 years he may die if he does not stop it.  Several scientists have commented on this and some says that mind uploading is impossible.

The article also explains the mechanism of our brain; it is made up of 86 billion neurons connected cells that send information to each other by firing electrical charges.
_______________________________________  

My Yes/No question is:
Do you like to live forever?

My answer is: 
No.  If people do not die forever, lots of problems will happen.  First I have to face my spouse forever, it's quite hard task each other 555.  Second, it's not romantic.  Our national flower is a cherry blossom.  Our people love it because it has a short life.  In early spring the flower comes into full bloom so beautifully and flutters in a week regretfully.  If it blooms all year round, no one appreciate it so much.  Third, to live forever is monotonous.  I prefer different lives in a different situation to an eternal life.  But actually, I don't want to live physically so much.  If I can live in a spirit, I can fly to anywhere and anytime.  It might be much fun than immortality.
________
Reference
Quinn, T. (2016, March 14). The immortalist: Uploading the mind to a computer. BBC News Magazine retrieved from http//www..bbc.com/news/magazine-35786771

10 comments:

  1. One of the experts cited in Cheese's chosen post also seems to support Feem and Non's disagreement with me concerning AlphaGo, but I'm still hoping someone will come to my support.

    Other experts there are thankfully a little more encouraging, or discouraging depending on how you view such possible facts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I want to live forever. It is 'cool' as to be immortal. Since I was seven years old, it has been my dream to be immortal. Lives end when we are approximately 80 years old or maybe faster than that. And, of course, we cannot fulfilled all our wishes or dreams by that times. Being a keen traveler, I always want to travel around the world and also go to land my first step on the moon. I know that it is implausible to do all these things before I die, so I want to live forever. Additionally, I want to witness the twenty-second century with my own eyes. One hundred years ago, we still sat on the horse cart, travelling from one place to another. One hundred years ago, we still communicated with one another by letters. One hundred years ago, we were still scared of when the war was about to occur. One hundred years ago, there were no computers or laptop to help us do homework given by Mr Peter like what I am doing now. Today, everything has changed. We are able to see one another faces across the world simultaneously. We are able to travel from one place to another by the comfortable sky trains. We have a far more convenient lives today. I could not imagine how the next hundred years of this world will be. I want to see that day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, I don't want to live forever. From the article they are just focusing on our brain. They don't care whether their brains will be transfer into a physical body of themselves or another person or even a robot body. I still think that it's impossible to let every cells of our body become alive again.I don't want to have only only brain without a physical body.Besides, I think with this human lifespan, we have to live by doing the best in everyday and give precedence to our lives more than being immortal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed reading the different responses to Cheese's post. While I would certainly like a bit longer, immortality is a bigger commitment, as Cheese suggests.

    I also like Ploy's idea, which has a history stretching back at least to Homer: Achilles and the Greeks can enjoy the beauty of the camp-fires like stars as they spend the night before Troy awaiting tomorrow's battle in which many will die (Iliad, Bk. VIII).

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, and Never. I really love the Cheese's metaphor which said that life is beautiful like cherry blossoms for its limiting and fragility. I don't think long life which is too old physically and mentally is desirable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If that machine had success and get my consciousness uploaded, I would get craving for the food that I get used to when I was a child. Then, you cannot fulfill your desire because you can do eat! Why should you get uploaded to long for your past and desire that cannot be achieved. So sad!

      Delete
  6. I used to think I want to have immortal life, but currently I think it would possibly cause a chain of drawbacks. And, what happens if evil people never die by any means such as death penalty, severe accident etc.? Does it sound scary?

    Yet, I hope we will live longer in the future because of advanced technology in order to help develop our society, environment and world together.

    P.S. In Cheese’ answer, I’m a bit surprised that Cheese understood what “ 555 ” is because many foreigners often doubt it . Great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. No, I don't want to live forever.

    I has read one article. It said that when people get older their brain will be less efficient than when they was young. That's why, I think that although uploading a human brain to a computer to let human can live forever, it still hard for human to be survive in this world.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to think of the immortality. Is it good or bad? if I don't die and have ample time to do anything in the world, I probably learn all of knowledge in every field to be a perfect guy, travelling around the world by 2 feet, eating everything I want or doing nonsense day by day. I felt time was worthless and it was not important anymore, meaning of life also gone by without the limit of age. I mean, cause life is short so it is valuable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It depends. If the purpose of immortality is to pave the road and make everything as planned, it would be good. However, I would not want to live forever as I will have to endure pains and experience more and more things that I would prefer not to. Being immortal is not always good, not being able to be killed is one of the worst things. Having to endure will absolutely be an everlasting painful.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.