Friday 11 March 2016

Do you love the Seekers?

Source background
This doesn't count as a blog post responding to a piece of writing from one my list of reading sources, but Ploy's post this morning last night, on which I commented this morning, made me want to share a specific example, but you can't really insert a YouTube video in a comment. The Seekers were one of the great Australian groups that I loved when I was in primary school. The YouTube clip posted by wolstenholme100 (2014) is of their 50th anniversary in London. They still sound great singing many old (some very old) favourites.

_______________________________________ 

My Yes/No question is:
Do you love the Seekers?

My answer is:
Yes - for almost 50 years now. They also look a tad older than they did half a century ago, but their voices remain clear and powerful. I often listen to them when I'm getting dressed in the morning - that's the sort of multi-tasking I can manage: buttoning a shirt and tying a shoelace whilst listening to music. Maybe I should also take up Cheese's suggestion to sing along to stretch my diaphragm a bit.

Actually, what kept worrying me was that after reading and responding to Ploy's post, I thought a bit about the lyrics, and at least one of them, the very catchy "Georgy Girl" also sounds rather sexist - it's sounds like the only way for women to be happy and fulfilled is to look pretty and catch a man. They are probably safe from the ageism charge, but like most people of that time, they simply accepted as natural the ugly prejudices in favour of males that Ae discusses in her blog post on the wage differences in Silicon Valley. Just because they were totally wrong about some things does not stop their art being great art.

If you don't know the Seekers, you might like to give them a try. YouTube is another wonderful offering from Google. I don't buy paper books any more. I don't buy music on discs. And now that NetFlix has arrived in Thailand, my DVD buying has dwindled rapidly.

And that reminds me - Google has also been making headlines the last couple of days for a very different reason. I hope someone picks it up to blog!

After citing it, I decided I should also include one of the YouTube versions of "Georgy Girl" (rich963, 2011).

___________
Reference
rich963. (2011, November 4). The Seekers - Georgy Girl (1967 - Stereo). [Video file]. Retrieved from https://youtu.be/wsIbfYEizLk

wolstenholme100. (2014, June 4). Seekers 50th Anniversary Concert, Albert Hall, London, 2 June 2014 [Video file]. Retrieved from https://youtu.be/eCLWWTsWdME 

8 comments:

  1. If no one follows up my hint, my next post might be titled "Do you love Google?" There will probably not be any catchy video with that post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know nothing about music, the only two bands I know are 'Imagine dragons' and 'Westlife'. So I know nothing about others.

      Btw, I HATE GOOGLE. If there is no google in this world, I might not need to do homework given on classroom, I might also not need to do blogging everyday. Also, homework given by Mr Peter will be definitely much lesser. So, I HATE "GOOGLE" but I bet that you love "Google" :(

      P.S. I will like Google again after six weeks :)

      Delete
    2. I notice that Google's latest amazing achievement has also made the Bangkok Post. It's been news in the international media for a few days now.

      Non, I'm sorry; I'm still loving it. But I think it's fine if we don't agree on this for a few weeks.

      Delete
  2. 55 it just funny thing. I never knew Seekers before. However, when I've searched her music on youtube, I realized that one of her song name "Yesterday" which I've thought that it's the same song as "Yesterday Once More" for a long time.

    Source
    vbvbvb088. (2009, May 12). The Seekers - 1966 - 'Yesterday". [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2d7RSu0Xo0

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, I prefer ABBA or the Platters for the same period of time. I have just know this band after introducing from Peter. Anyway, after listening "Yesterday" from Ae's comment. I've started interest in her performance.

    Music is like other way of life. We tend to prefer what we get used to like cuisine or clothing. Your band maybe better but we should find more chance to wider range of music.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, I did not know the name of Seekers, but I know the name of the song, Ge orgy Girl. It brings me back sweet memories. But I thought it as "George's Girl" carelessly till today. Thanks to Peter, I could know the real name of it. Then what does the word of georgy mean? Oh my, now I have mixed feelings. Sometimes my carelessness takes me to happier situation than carefulness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have heard the name of The Seekers but I have never listened to any of their songs. Anyway, I like the rhythm of the song "Georgy girl" as it represents the style of music during that time and also makes me feel like I'm really in that time too. With the well mixed instrumental performance, songs seem to be very good. Thank you for introducing me to such a wonderful old band!

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.