Sunday 21 September 2008

Sweet's response to "What is abnormal?"

I would like to answer question 2 and 3 on page 176 of Quest 2. For question 2, I don't know why I really afraid of a snake and I can' remember that when I first had this fear. I think maybe when I was 6 years old because a snake crawled to the balcony of my house while I were eating with my brother. We didn't know what we should do, so we immediatly closed and locked the door in order that it couldn't creep to my house. We all afraid of it; therefore, we didn' stare at it and we went to the bedroom. Half an hour later we went back to the balcony, fortunately, it then disappeared. It' s so scary for us. One year later, my friend thrown a snake doll which made from rubber in front of me, I was frightened very much and I was so angry with him, then I didn't talk with him for half a year. Consequently, I crid every time when I had seen just a picture of snake and I can't deal with this problem. At present, my fear of snakes has been decreasing. I think it is because I've never seen a snake for a long while. If I see it again , I will perhaps fear it more than in the past.

For the other question, I think my best friend, Pooky, may suffer from social phobias. This is because whenever she have a presentation in front of the class, she always feel worried and anxious about it and she usually embarrass herself in a public place. Therefore, although she was well-prepared for her presentation, she could not do it well and sometimes she cried after finish presenting. In my opinion, she may suffer this kind of phobias with a low level, so she don't have to see a psychologist.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Sweet.
    It's a thoughtful response. I especially like your well developed examples: they are detailed and clearly present points that were important in the reading.
    I used to be very nervous about giving presentations and so on once, but I think that was just a normal fear of something new, and fear of looking silly or stupid, even when I was well prepared.
    I'm not sure if those fears have ever gone away completely, but they aren't a problem for me today.

    I wonder if a fear of snakes is something natural to human beings? ophiophobia certainly seems a common one. But if it is natural and normal, is it still a phobia or is it a healthy fear?

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.