Tuesday 5 May 2009

About dictionary

Now I use only one dictionary.It is online dictionary from website http://dict.longdo.com/search/ For me, I have not found the dictionary that good enought for me.I used to use electronic dictionary and the dictionary book for student when I was in high-school.But when I was in the university I use electronic and online dictionary.My electronic dictionary is not quite good because it does not have many words so I turn to use online dictionary from then.In my view,Good dictionary should have a lot of word and the detail of the word such as part of speech,the meaning that easy to understand and how to use this word.I always use dictionary when I want to know the meaning of the word that I do not know and when I find some word to write on my writing.I think dictionary is important for the learner it can help the learner to find and know the whole meaning of this word.Now I looking for english-english dictionary which is good for me but I do not know which one is good.If you know and have some ideas please share with me,Thanks a lot.

2 comments:

  1. Mimi,
    I just tried the Long Du dictionary using the word repair as a test. Although there were no serious errors, the 4th English-Thai entry, "[VT] ไปเป็นประจำ, Syn. go", doesn't sound quite right to me, which could be because my Thai is weak. The synonym "go", whilst correct, is simply stated without any necessary information.

    Similarly, the English-English entries later, whilst correct, start with the least common definition and do not warn you that it is extremely unusual to use repair to mean "go" or "repair" today.

    It's very convenient, but I'm not sure if this is the best dictionary to use. A good thing about it is that it does at least tell you the source for each definition or other piece of information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, I meant that it is extremely unusual to use repair to mean "go" or "return" today.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.