Wednesday 6 May 2009

Gauguin 'cut off Van Gogh's ear'


I am astonished and disturbed at the news “Gauguin 'cut off Van Gogh's ear' ", which I found on the BBC News website. It is said that Gogh cut off his ear because of mental illness. However, German academics Hans Kaufmann and Rita Wildegans published the result of their research In Van Gogh's Ear: Paul Gauguin and the Pact of Silence. The new report is that Gauguin hit Van Gogh's ear with a sword.
Ordinary I am not so much interested in this article, but I wrote first assignment which is the picture on page 165 of Quest 2 relating on the traditional theory. I’m not sure exactly whether the new result is true or not. This is my first experience that theory I believe is overthrown in time.

__________

Reference

Gauguin 'cut off Van Gogh's ear'. (2009, May 5). BBC News. Retrieved May 6, 2009 from http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/arts_and_culture/8033650.stm

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad that Michiyo blogged on this article. I had also seen it, and my reaction was similar to Michiyo's. It sounds plausible, but I want to know how strong the supporting evidence is. I suppose I should read the book where the researchers report their findings, but I might leave that to others and then accept whatever the experts believe. If I were writing an essay on it would read the book and assess the evidence and arguments presented to come to a conclusion about what was more likely to be true, but we don't have to write that essay; we have other essays to write, as we will learn tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.