Tuesday 5 May 2009

Pam on dictionaries

In the present, I use Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary in 7th edition and electronic dictionary which has copy right of Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary in 6th edition. My favorite is the first one because I think it may be the latest edition so there are many words and many meanings that are useful for me. When I was young, I had many dictionaries. I used Thai-English, English-Thai,and English-English(Oxford Student's Dictionary) in my high school because I can understand the meaning quickly in Thai . But in my university life until the present I try to use only English-English dictionary because I think it is better to improve my English if I can remember the meanings of the words in English. Actually, I sometimes use Thai-English and English-Thai dictionaries if I can not guess or understand the meaning in English. I usually use dictionary when I have to do my writing and want to know word spelling or meaning of them but in my reading, I do not try to use it because it make me read not fluently. Actually, If I can not guess and it is very important to know the meaning, I use it. A good dictionary should has many update information of the words such as meanings,example of how to use word in the sentence,synonym, antonym, idioms, etc. And the important thing is the dictionary should be believable. I think who make dictionary is the group of people who are professional in this language. We should not use only one dictionary because other dictionary may have different meaning and it may have suitable meaning for you . Nowadays, I think there are many interesting things that attract you to use dictionary not only finding the meaning of the words but also grammar using or game for practice.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.