Sunday 3 May 2009

Drinking water may decrease suicide

I know that lithium is used to treat people who have mental illness like mood disorders. But it is surprising that Japanese researchers found that if adding lithium in tap water it may reduce suicide risk, which I saw " Lithium in water 'curbs suicide' " on the BBC News website. In detail, this research found lower suicide rate in Oita area with having small amounts of lithium in drinking water, however, its side effects should be considerable.

I think what would happen if people have to drink water with lithium everyday and why the researchers do not find another ways to solve suicide problem instead of using this dangerous element.
__________
References
Lithium in water 'curbs suicide' . (2009, May 1). BBC News. Retrieved May 2, 2009 from http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8025454.stm

2 comments:

  1. It really sounds suspicious for me. My view is quete different from the reseachers. I alway manage to see 'curbs suicide' from the eyes of studying of sociology. I think there are a lot of economic factors and problems about the reduction of suicide. However, Pam's post is useful to expand my knowledge. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It give me a new information because I have not known before that Lithium can help people who have mental illness.For me,I do not agree to adding lithium in the water because we have a lot of suitable ways to help or treat mentall illness.I think lithium is not good for health.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.