Monday 4 May 2009

Michiyo on dictionaries

I use two kinds of English-English Electric dectionaries which are Longman Advanced American dictionaly edition and Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary 7th editon. I like both dictionaries because the description are different, for example one has only one meaning, the other has more than two meaning. There are some different examples depend on the word. It is useful to understand the meaning of the word I don't know, so that I use both of them. When I was in university, absolutely I used English-Japanese dictionary. I didn't have enough vocabulary, so it took long time to understand only one word when I used English- English dictionary. In other word, I used dicitonary to find the meaning in the dictionary. I always use a dictionary, but I try to change how to use dictionary now. I used to use dictionry whenever I found the unknown words. However, when I find the unfamilier words, thinking is first by reading before and after the words. Sometimes I read the sentence and paragraph both before and after. I am studying Aacademic course, so I have to choose it for academic level. If I use a dictionary for high school level, I will never write an academic writing.
Recently I found it that I prefer English-English dictionary to English-Japanese dictionary to look up the meaning.

1 comment:

  1. I understand your situation, using English-Japanese dictionary. I also used to use them until graduated high school. However, I found that sometimes my English sounds strange for native speakers, even though I use the same meaning of the words. We need to use appropriated words so that English-Japanese dictionary is sometimes useless because they just translate between Japanese and English.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.