Saturday 29 March 2014

‘I’ve got a lot of living to do’

I personally enjoy reading articles about how to rewire my mind for positivity and happiness and then I found this article when I was trying to find sometime interesting to read on BBC News. This article really inspired me. I've been trying to find out how can be optimistic even when the situation surrounds us is terrible? Maybe it is true that we never realize what we have until you lose it. For example, we might never realize how good our lives are until we found out that we have cancer.

According to this article, when Kis Hallenga was diagnosed with terminal breast cancer at the age of 23, she decided to channel her fear and her anger into inspiring young women on a very personal mission. She battles her illness and tirelessly promotes her charity CoppaFee which energetic and fearless awareness raising campaign dedicated to making sure other young women and their doctors are made more aware of the risks.


I questioned myself about how life would be like when we can never predict what is going to happen from one day to the next, and we can never say "I'm fine" (Hallenga, 2014). Sometimes we just ignore how extremely importance our well-being are, until we are unexpectedly found out that we lost it. Therefore, my question towards this situation is how  we can deal with it, I totally admire not only her courage but also her mission, as an inspirational young woman who enhances fight against cancer, even she doesn't want to be described by anyone as a fighting or suffering, she would just rather be a woman who has a simply living.


Living with uncertainly could be a definition of our lives. Especially, for people who have a chronic illness, because you now know that your life is likely to be shorter than you expected, you may have limits on things that you want to do and you can do. Also, you may find yourself grieving the loss of what is going to happen in the future, this is hard for anyone to handle without emotional support. However, the key is living with cancer not dying or surviving with cancer, always be optimistic for what you have and then you might find the meaning of your life easily.
 

 
Reference
 Wallis, L. (2014, March 25). ‘I’ve got a lot of living to do’. BBC News Health. Retrieved March 29, 2014 from  http://www.bbc.com/news/health-26648163

Kris: Dying to live. (A.D., 2014). BBC Three. Retrieved March 29, 2014 from http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03zf3tg
 

5 comments:

  1. I notice in your 3rd paragraph you have the parenthetical citation (Hallenga, 2014). The job of a parenthetical citation is to refer readers to the matching reference entry. But when I looked at your list of reference citations, there isn't one that starts with the word Hallenga, and which was published in 2014.

    Hint: What does Lucy Wallis do her BBC News story?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the question about sources that I've raised regarding Yao's response to Hallenga's inspirational story is one that others might like to comment on.

      Delete
  2. I think that Hallenga is a wonderful person. Although she know that she have a cancer, she still inspire other and promote her charity. I think it is so difficult for most people with a cancer to think in positive way as her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I would be able to respond so positively as Hallenga has done. But until it happens, we can't really know.

    I knew a lot of ordinary people in Australia who contracted AIDS/HIV before there was any effective treatment, and many of them did not give up, but became active in trying to help others who were infected and make legal and social changes to improve things for all.

    Like Hallenga, I think they were heroes on a quest that gave their own lives greater value.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For some people, they like to give more than to get, and it's amazing how these people can do so much. Inspiration can create hope while someone is in need.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.