Sunday 2 March 2014

More weeds, less pants?

From the age of about 20 until 45, my waist stayed at 30 - 31 inches, but this has changed, and the change is accelerating. I wore 32 inch pants for about four years, 34 inch ones only fit for three years, and already the 36 inch pants are uncomfortably tight, so when I saw the title "Seaweed could be key to weight loss, study suggests" on the BBC News website this morning, I read the article.

The article says that chemicals in a common form of seaweed, sea kelp, prevent the absorption of fat from food into the body, which results in weight loss. Although the scientists doing the research report that the seaweed is "not normally regarded as particularly appetising" ("Seaweed Could Be Key", 2014, para. 5), they think that mixing it with other foods, such as in bread, would appeal to people who want to lose weight.

Would I eat seaweed? Definitely. In fact, I already eat seaweed. I'm sure it's become quite popular in recent years, especially with Japanese food. I think people eat seaweed everywhere there days. For example, I often buy some salad I mix myself at Tops Supermarket in Silom Complex, and for the last few months now, there has been seaweed as an option to add. I got some today. It adds a tangy flavour to contrast with the boring broccoli and some of the other vegetables that are not very exciting. I also see seaweed in different snacks on the shelves of the supermarkets. I haven't tried these, but I guess other people buy them because they like the taste. The scientists doing the research are in England, so perhaps English people are not keen on seaweed yet, but I think it's also well-known now in Australia. maybe even my conservative mother eats it, or maybe not. I need to do some research into my family's and Australian's changing diets on my annual Songkran visit this year.

The new seaweed being researched looks a very boring brown, but I'm sure that won't worry people who want to lose a few kilos. I think my diet is generally healthy, and I get some regular exercise, but the trouble is that there are too many calories in my diet, so my waist keeps growing, faster and faster. I don't want to buy bigger pants every year, and I definitely don't want to stop eating, so something that stops the food I enjoy ending up on my waistline sounds good to me.
__________
Reference
Seaweed could be key to weight loss, study suggests. (2014, March 1). BBC News Health. Retrieved March 1, 2014 from http://www.bbc.com/news/health-26394577

5 comments:

  1. What a surprise! I’m a one who is really like to eat seaweed. Especially, I love to eat Japanese food and Korean food. Both of these used a lot of seaweed to be ingredient. These give me a chance to make a reason to eat Japanese/Korean food! And I can imagine a new menu that has an ingredient from seaweed too. Seaweed and salmon salad is sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to eat seaweed but I don't think it can help us lose weight or maybe help but not the best way. I know that it can prevent the absorption of fat but if we don't exercise and control our diet, we are still the same. And we don't eat only fats. I mean we also eat carbohydrate and protein which seaweed can't prevent the absorption of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And seaweed doesn't stop sugar absorption. So perhaps we also need prisons to stop people eating too much fat?

      Should butter makers be imprisoned to stop them harming the public by selling products that are so harmful to health?

      Delete
  3. I like seaweed! Sadly... i have to stop eating it because it always stick my teeth lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like to eat seaweed. And, I just realize that seaweed can help to lose your weight due to the fat absorption from the body. But I think if you eat too much of seaweed, your weight will also be gained. So, I think eating it in a proper amount may be benefit while eating it too much may be harm to your health. Lastly, I think you should think carefully before eating something.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.