Wednesday 29 April 2009

Daniel's question: Is Quest wrong?

In his comments this morning, I thought that Daniel raised an important question: that books are often wrong, that they sometimes contain ideas or statments which are false, or even worse. 
My question, which you might like to leave a comment on, is why is this such a very important point to raise? Why is it so important that I let you spend 20 minutes discussing Daniel's question this morning? 

Also important, though less so, is the specific question of whether or not Quest is wrong in this case. Does Hartmann say something wrong in "Culture and Mental Illness" (2007)? Please also feel welcome to share your ideas on this narrower question. 
__________
References
Hartmann, P. (2007). Quest 2 Reading and Writing (2nd ed.). New York: McGraw-Hill ESL/ELT


2 comments:

  1. I don't know whether Hartmann says something wrong or not because I have very little knowledge and comprehension about mental illness.
    Generally, writers and authers express he/her oun opinion about topic in their writings. They prove their personal views right with the use of exaples, figures and other datas.That's why I alway try to read apart from the fact and my opinion.
    In fact,I don't have confidence in my opinion. I would like to know peer's opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very important point to raise because if we learn the wrong things from a book, we may receive the wrong knowledge. I think the knowledge can change all the time when we discover the new information so that the book we read might be right or wrong.It depends on the period of time.For example, if we read this book in the year that writer wrote, this book is right but in the present, we know the new information so some information in this book is wrong for us.On the other hand, we know that some ideas in the book may be wrong however the exercise in the book use only the information that the writer give us.And I do not think
    Hartmann say something wrong in "Culture and Mental Illness" (2007) because it is an information that was written in 2007.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.