Thursday 2 April 2009

Why Peter is here

When I left Australia in 1989, i didn't think it would be such a turning point in my life. I had just finished years of study, and before starting a Ph.D., I had decided to take a break and travel. That was the first decision that marked a turning point in my life. And my decision was made firm by what was really a very accidental remark. I had asked a friend what he thought of my idea to take a year off to travel, and his reply, which I've never forgotten, was, "I reckon your crazy if you don't!" So i did. The next twist in the road was when I decided to start my travels in Thailand. Again, that was simply because another close friend said she had really enjoyed her month here when travelling around the world. So I got my visa and plane ticket to Thailand. I also had visas and tickets to India and Taiwan. And I hadn't seen any further than that.
I got to Thailand and after my allotted two weeks, went on to Taiwan, where I did some work and study as planned. But instead of spending two years there, with short side trips, I made longer visits back to Thailand, which was much more enjoyable place to be.
After a year, I decided to spend a year in bangkok studying Thai at AUA. Again, this was largely as a result of an accident. I was interested in language learning theories at the time, and had been reading some theoretical works, including a book by Stephen Kraschen, which had made a sensation with some radical ideas about how people actually learn languages and how that could be applied to second language acquisition. I had studied other languages in school and at university using the traditional approaches, so I was well aware of the seriuos defects in those methods: I could read classical literature, but I couldn't even have a simple conversation with people! Something was wrong.
I had never taught a language, and I'd never studied teaching, but I wanted to see if Kraschen's ideas really worked, and one of the few places in teh world that used his ideas in the way he intended and at a reasonable cost was the Thai Studies Department here at AUA. So back i came to settle in thailand for a year.
That was great, but afer six months or so, I also realised that it would be good to have somethign else to do with my days. Well, there was an English language school just down the corridor, so I began teaching English for a few hours a day as well as studying Thai.
That is the series of small things that have led me down paths that I might never have taken otherwise. I wonder what I would be doing now if I hadn't decided to travel for a couple of years? If I hadn't hadn't become interested in language learning? If I hadn't heard of Kraschen and AUA?
Frost is right in "The Road Not Taken": the bends in the road make it impossible for us to see how even small events and decisions can lead us to ways we could never have imagined.

4 comments:

  1. Peter, I read very quickly, after I finished writing about Caroline. haha
    Actually, I have wondered why you decide to teach English in Bangkok, but I hesitated to ask it, becuase it is a kind of privacy.
    I read your posting well! And I would like to say that your teaching is very helpful to improve my English!
    Kraschen? I never heard about him before. Do I have to thank him, too? hahahaha ^^;;
    Um,,, Could you introduce more about him?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good when you're here and being my teacher. What you taught me it help me alot. thanks.
    I have a question. If you can turn back to 20 years ago, would you like to have another choice, such as working in your country?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting, if I were you, I would continue to study PhD degree immediately, because I don't dare to decide, I'm always afraid of consequences after I make a major decision that I'm not sure. In contrast, you dare to walk forward, do a thing you want to know. I admire you.

    I wonder that many Thais want to do a job in Austria to make money. But, you have high education, so if you work in your country, you must get more money.

    Now, you use Krashen's ideas to teach student?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ob, Sorry I wrote your country name wrong. "Australia"

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.