Wednesday 8 April 2009

How scratching can stop an itch



In “How scratching can stop an itch” BBC news report, Scientists have shown scratching helps relieve an itch as it blocks activity in some spinal cord nerve cells that transmit the sensation to the brain. The University of Minnesota study appears in Nature Neuroscience has suggested that a specific part of the spinal cord. Nerve cells in spinal cord show to be more activity when itchy and apply to skin. People and animal set that scratching the skin block activity of nerve cells in the spinothalamic tract during itchiness control the spinal cord from transmit signal from the scratch area of skin to brain. Professor Gil Yosipovitch, an expert on itching from Wake Forest University in North Carolina said, “the finding was "potentially significant"”. He said: "Although there is a long way to go, methods that can induce a pleasurable scratch sensation without damaging the skin, via mechanical stimuli or drugs that can inhibit these neurons, could be developed to treat chronic itch." At last, when I read this article I feel itchy. I try to control scratching but I couldn’t.
If you have an itch. Can you control them by no scratch?.

ReferencesHow scratching can stop an itch. (2009,April 6), BBC News, Retrieved April 8,2009 from http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7976606.stm

2 comments:

  1. When I read this article, I confused why I feel itchy. I always scratch when I feel itchy. If I can not endure I usually use balm to relieve. Perhaps I take the medicine to inhibit itch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I'm itchy, I couldn't control myself to stop scratch. After all when I forgot about itch, I forgot scratch too.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.