Tuesday 7 April 2009

Peter on Essay Writing

When I was in school, I wrote essays because I was told to. At university, I also wrote essays because I had to, but I also realised that the main reason people wrote essays was not because someone told them to, but because they wanted to.
Why do people want to write essays?
I think that we want to write essays to share our ideas. If have an idea about something, for example, that it would be a very bad idea, and immoral, to ban alcohol sales over Songkran, or during the day, then we write an essay to tell others what we think and to explain why we think that. Maybe they will agree with us! If they disagree, they can write an essay to clearly explain why we are wrong, and then we can think about their ideas, and respond with another essay.
Essays are good for this because they give us a a chance to state and explain our ideas with support so that others can be convinced, or at least encouraged to think about our ideas.
More important, ... sorry no time now. I'll add abit more later tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.