Thursday 1 September 2016

Have you even been afraid of a flight?

Source background
According to "Shannon Airport emergency landing: 12 taken to hospital," the United Airlines faced an aggresive and unexpected turbulence during flying across the atlantic ocean in which the flight departed from Houston, Texas, and will arrive to London Heathrow, but it had to emergency landing at Shannon Airport, the  Republic of Ireland. Fortunately, there were no died people but twelve people, including three children, were injured, and they were taken to a hospital immediately. After curing these injured people, the flight continues toward London, and all passengers are excepted to charge the fee of this flight (2016).

_______________________________________ 

My Yes/No question is:
Have you even been afraid of a flight?

My answer is:
Yes, in one time before the airplane took off.

Few years ago, I have an experience before the flight took off. At that time my friends and I needed to go to Phuket for a workshop with a German student group which were collaborative with my university. We booked an economy flight with an economy airlines. And then we already sit in the airplane, we knew that the air condition had a problem because there was very hot in it. Before the flight took off (almost took off), the captain launched the announcement that the airplane couldn't take off because it had a function problem (and also its air condition). Then the airlines changed a new aircraft which is better than the first one, and finally, we can go to Phuket with the delay departure around two hours!

That experience I'm afraid of flight although it had no any accidents during the journey. However, there are many news about airplane crashes and killed a lot of people from flights. I think travelling by airplane is the most dangerous because we can't avoid from accidents which may be occurred on airplanes, like wind turbulence, weather outside, human control error, its function error, or terrorists. And after these situations are happened and captains can't control their aircrafts, it may cause a series problem which can lose a lot people both on airplanes and who live on the ground.

I think we should wear seatbelt every time during a flight, and follow the instruction stickly which is announced on airplanes. In addition, one thing which I don't like to travel by airplane is I can't see any views except clouds and sky. If I travel only in the country, I prefer to travel by cars or trains. Although these take for a long time to travel, I'm happy to see many beautiful natural places of Thailand during journeying. Which mode do you like to travel in your country? Car, train, plane. or other modes?
___________
Reference
Shannon Airport emergency landing: 12 taken to hospital. (2016, August 31). BBC News. Retrieved from http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-37228479

10 comments:

  1. I never worry much when I'm flying. I assume that the safety checks are very thorough, and the statistics prove flying at least as safe as driving. I agree with Oat that we have no control when flying, whereas we do when driving. But I'm a terrible driver, and the roads are full of other terrible drivers. It's the roads that terrify me.
    A couple of times I've been on planes that have suddenly dropped or been shaken by turbulence: it wakes me up, but that's about all. And no, I never have more than one small serving of red wine on my flights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really agree with you about the statement that we can avoid the problems. However, there is a strictly airport security. I don't really like air plane because of it is not comfort and I don't have a lot of money to buy for the better place in plane.

    But, I disagree with Peter that car is more dangerous. Maybe he is talking about the driving car in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like disagreement.
      But I'm also happy to support my opinion here.
      How many people died from car accidents in Bangkok alone over the past year? And how many people died from plane accidents in Thailand over the same period?

      I'm pretty sure that the roads in Australia are much safer than the roads in Thailand. Australians are much less likely to use drugs, especially alcohol, and drive than are Thai people. Alcohol is a major cause of innocent people being killed, and that tends not to happen with air travel. Passengers might get drunk and obnoxious, but I'm pretty sure that pilots do not drink and fly the way many people still drink and drive.

      Delete
    2. Mostly the accidents by car come from people who are driving the car alone. In contrast with plane, where you can't do anything to stop the ISIS to sit with you and try to blow up the plane Its got to do with the drivers of cars.

      Delete
  3. I think accidents can occur anywhere but we tent to be more excited when we fly because we heard the news about air plane crashes and passengers killed and we seldom fly if compare with driving or taking the bus so we think more about it as it's special.In fact, car accident rates is a lot higher than aviation accidents.I prefer cheap and convenient ways but I don't like to take risk so I usually avoid motorcycle on the main road.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Strictly adhered to world statistics, there are much more car accidents compared to the airplane crashes in each year. The reason why many people have a worse picture on a plane crash is because it is devastating or seems to be a bigger problem when it happens which easily to stick into people mind even though there is only a little chance to occur as a pre-flight safety check is always performed.

    I agree with Peter that driving is more dangerous, especially in Thailand. Sometimes, a car crash occurs does not come from you, but from another party who is drunk or driving with a very high speed exceeding to the limit. I do drive drive in Bangkok and some surrounding towns. But when going to the northeast, I usually take a flight in the low cost airline. It helps me save my time and money at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Many people use airplane to travel from their country to another one. I agree with you that there are some uncontrollable factors such as wind, rain or snow. However; choosing safety airlines are the best way for your life because their policies are more sticky. Personally, I think that using airplane is more safety than driving a car because there are a few of accident in airplane that caused by other people.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Car accidents may seem minor if we compare with airplane accidents. However, car accidents happens more frequently and this causes far more casualties and dead tolls. I have one belief that pilots are all well-trained to drive the plane, at least they are trained longer than I practice to drive a car. So I rather trust in them.

    But when I travel in my country, I normally travel by bus or my private car. Even plane is like more than ten times faster ,and its fare is less expensive than the past, I think it is enjoyable to spend time on the car with family and friends. The views along the way to the destination are always impressive too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate being in a car in Bangkok, much preferring the BTS or MRT when they are options for getting around. But for the reasons Pun gives, I enjoy driving around in a car when I visit my family in Australia. Happily, my brothers and sisters love driving, so we spend a fair bit of time driving on the roads connecting the places of my childhood. It is beautiful countryside, and, as Pun says, it's a great opportunity for relaxed chatting, or gossiping. My family members provide plenty to gossip about, and in turn I'm sure they gossip about me.

      Delete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.