Thursday 1 September 2016

Should Bangkok’s street food disappear?


Source background

From Bangkok’sdisappearing street food,Craig Sauers reported that “Over the past year, the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration has evicted nearly 15,000 vendors from 39 public areas citywide, part of a campaign to tidy up the streets and pavements.” but now Bangkok Metropolitan Administration and the Urban Design and Development Center currently planning to implement sustainable changes and restoring the sites in the city to get the streets lives back.
_______________________________________ 

My Yes/No question is:
Should Bangkok’s street food disappear?

My answer is:
No, it shouldn’t disappear from Bangkok

Support
As one of pedestrian, I have always been envy others’ clean and nice footpaths
when I was travelling to another countries but as I think of flavorful Thai dishes along pavements I couldn’t deny these authentic Thai street food, as we can absorb the cultures beside the streets, eat delicious Thai cuisines, see the way of living through traditional street vendors anytime and everywhere in Bangkok with very low priced and mouth-watering looks.

Thailand’s street foods are the food heaven for many tourists, people and necessary for the low or middle class who couldn’t effort and have no times to cook. It’s importance for them as it’s easy to purchase, convenient, flavorful and cheap. If the foods disappear from the side streets many people will lose their jobs, we also cannot find anywhere else alike Bangkok and for those who couldn’t pay for the foods it’s going to be difficult. For example, the food court at Chamchuri square, the food price is around 70-100 bath per meal which is quite expensive so I don’t think people who earned minimum wage or 300 baht a day can effort it, even some white-collar workers who work in the office complained about it.

On the others hand, some people think sidewalk vending stands should be ban since its intended to use by pedestrians to commutes, its also against the law and exploit others. Sometimes the unhygienic foods from the vending cause diarrhoea and others diseases and vending site are dirty since no one took care of it.

If the government provide lands for cheap rent or free, the vendors can sell cheaper foods, people who have lower income can access it, the side streets are clean and if the government controls, enhances the food qualities and the rising of food prices, everyone can enjoy street foods as before but in different places.
___________
Reference

Sauers, C. (23 August 2016). Bangkok’s disappearing street food.BBC NEWS. Retrieved from http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/20160817-bangkoks-disappearing-street-food

5 comments:

  1. I agree with Namwan. Street vendors shouldn't be prohibited but to be organized. As you mentioned, government should provide a specific space for these vendors so that they won't be disturbing people who need to use the pavements. The street vendors also need to strictly follow the rules, in which instructed by BMA as well. Vendors need to keep their area clean;otherwise, they will be fined. Something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be very sad if the street vendors in my soi disappeared. I often buy some kai yang on the way home after work. It's quick, cheap and tasty. Today, my regular vendor had a lot left over because the rain scared customers off, so I bought four chicken thighs. I gave a couple to the guards in my condo, and kept two to feed my growing tummy. I've been buying from this woman and her mother for ten years now. They help make the soi live. It would be disastrous if interfering, communist style government stopped this healthy free market activity that brings more choices to consumers along with a cheerful, lively atmosphere.
    I agree that there should be regulations about cleanliness, but that is probably enough state interference in our lives.

    In contrast, the sellers of illegal DVDs and other stolen property like fake watches, Levi's and so on should be prosecuted and cleared off the streets. I guess a lot of people are dishonest because the people selling those criminal products could not otherwise continue without customers participating in the theft of other people's intellectual property.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot imagine if the street vending stands disappeared. Street vendors have offered me very delicious but quite cheap meals. Even I do agree that they are not much hygienic, I do like it and I haven't had diarrhea because of eating street food. However, I have to admit that sometimes it is very annoying when there are a lot of people waiting in front of the stands which is located in the footpath and normally they will not pave way for others to walk. That is the problem.

    I agree with you that street food should not be cleared off permanently, but they should be controlled such as providing the specific place to buy things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If Bangkok’s street food were disappear, I wouldn't be alive. I love eating, especially the delicious food at night. Normally, street food might be cheaper than the food in restaurant. But I some shop are more expensive, they depend on their reputation and tasty. Personally, street food in Bangkok is the signature in Thailand already. Many tourists know that Thailand has a lot of tasty street food such as in china town. I think this might be a good way to increase economic growth and employment rates in Thailand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Namwan that we shouldn't ban street foods but the government, BMA, and other relevant organisations should find a sustainable solution to solve the problem, and both street vendors and people as customers can get benefits from the solution. Bangkok is known well about street foods as an important character which many Thai people and also foreigners would like to visit these exciting experiences with a good dish and a good price.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.