Tuesday 22 September 2009

Peter's Academic Interests

Today, my main areas of academic interests are philosophy and science. Actually, I loved science from high school when I first started to study it at school. At first, I was mainly interested in biology: I read my school science books, got books from the library on plants, fungi, and other topics in biology, and grew trees and other plants at home. This was when I was 12 years of age. I also liked mathematics because it was so sure. Subjects like English seemed vague and mysterious to me, but in mathematics, we knew things 100%, and it was amazing how it started with a little bit and built complex theorems on it. I had some problems in geometry because my teachers didn't like my drawings, but that was their problem. I think they were bad teachers because they worried about things that were not important, like looking neat and pretty.
At university, I began a science degree with majors in physics and mathematics, but at teh end of high school, I had already started to read philosophy and study languages, so I changed my degree, and majored in philosophy and mathematics, with a couple of dead languages. These were not very useful subjects to study for getting a job, but I'm glad I studied them. Today, I still read a lot in philosophy and I also like to keep up with progress in science, as you can see from some of the magazines I recommend: New Scientist, and Scientific American, for example.
In philosophy, my main areas of interest are moral philosophy, but at the moment I'm also reading a lot in philosophy of mind, which is about questions like teh nature of human consciousness, whether we have minds, how could free will exist, and things like that.

2 comments:

  1. Your academic background is very interesting. Philosophy is very complicate to understand for me but I will try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pin,
    Stephen Law's essay isn't too difficult I hope. He's a philosopher and professor at the University of London, but he wrote "Carving the Roast Beast" for educated English readers, not philosophers. I hope his essay is also interesting and challenging. If you don't agree with his main idea, that should challenge to think of reasons why he is wrong.

    In level 6, we read Plato, who is a little more difficult, but also more challenging and interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.