Monday 12 November 2012

Air's non-formal academic interests

Although I am a grown up, I still being attracted by children's literature. Children picture book is always the first section I visit every time I  go to a bookstore because I am fascinated by the fact that a simple story line in children book always conveys some hidden meanings. For me, it is enjoyable to guess what children would get from a story. Sometimes a children book teaches them a basic thought, for example children should obey their parent's warning, or it is bad for avoid brushing your teeth. But it can surprise you for what can be interpreted from a children story. To illustrate,"The Little red riding hood","Alice in wonderland", or "Snow white" convey very serious issue like sexual discrimination, and psychological disorder.

When I was young, I read a fairy tale which is titled " Snow Queen". I can remember that I am very scared of the Snow Queen and her crow. But when I grown up and read it again, there actually is not any really scary part of the story. Comparing to other witches from other fairy tales I had read before, Snow Queen is quite a kind person.  I don't understand why I am so scared of Snow Queen not other witches. This issue brought up a curiosity in my mind about how children understand children literature, especially a classic fairy tale which is told to children all over the world. Are the hidden meaning unconsciously affect children's feeling? or Are there any symbolic object that has strong affect to a child but not an adult? Do you have any idea about that?
__________

8 comments:

  1. When you have a your own child, you can enjoy your books with your child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so because now I am really enjoy reading books to my nieces,they are 2 year old twins. :)))

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Air, your interest is in the same line as mine, but mine is broader. I like reading fiction, especially novels relating to political issues, because it helps I think carefully about what is happening in the real world and what in the literature is possible to happen in our life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But even some children's literature can discuss serious themes and explore important issues. I like Harry Potter, which is supposed to be children's literature, and is certainly loved by children in many countries, but I think that in her novel Rowling also addresses such important themes as friendship, good v. evil, and so which are not really childish. Perhaps one of her great achievements is to use her stories to get younger readers thinking about and understanding the complexity of such issues. SImilarly, in the characters, they are not simple good or bad characters, but complex people where the good have their faults, sometimes very serious, such as Sirius Black, and the evil have their good features, such as the wicked Peter Pettigrew. Even Harry is not perfect, nor, I think is Voldemort all evil.

      And now I'm wondering if I really can support everything I just wrote. If you disagree, I'll try, or maybe change my mind.

      Delete
    2. Like Peter mentions about the connection between serious issues and children's literature, I read an article indicating there are many symbols behind the plot and characters in stories. For example, in "Little Red Cap", the wolf represents a threatening or harmful man whereas the red cap the girl wears symbolizes the blood of menstruation, or in other words, a period of coming reproductive age that a virgin woman should avoid such possible threat. It's kind of morality at the time the story written.

      Delete
  4. Air, Children picture books also make me interested now because I think reading such a colorful book helps me relieve stress

    ReplyDelete
  5. And I'm so glad that someone has raised the topic of literature. It fits conveniently into tomorrow's lesson plan. (Sorry about that.)

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.