Friday 23 November 2012

Oasis in life


 There are many occasions and events in around  our lives. Are you usually willing to pluge into them?

  In "Bangkok's best festivals and events", the travel expert, Tom Vater introduces seven annual galas and functions from vociferous Chines New Year Day, to New Year's Eve, when, where, what rituals is held briefly ,yet clearly.

 If you were traveling in the desert and oasis was in front of you, dared you  pass by it?
I have read  a book, Shiftng Sands (Steve Donahue,2005, Kimyoungsa), in this book the author advises six guide lines to trip in the dsert depends on his experiences in his
twenties. Two of them were  impressive, the first is to follow inner compass and the next is to rest whenever you meet the oasis. Especially I like the advice related oasis, because it is really helpful whenever I hesitate to take part in and really enjoy it or not.

  I  hadn't  taken much pleasure facing some festivals and events. I was not interested in like that noisy functions but my attitudes for them now perfectly changed since last Songhkran.  My friends and I  planed to join the feast and decide to jump into them for the delightful  experience,so we chose the Cha-am beach as a safer and better place  with   children and friends. It was very successful, whenever remind that time I became happy and laugh. The latest one  was  the Halloween,  when I went for shopping for the party I bought a mask for me, and I prepared some treats for the little visiters. That night I wore the black clothes and the cat  mask and I waited the door bell's ringing. It was surprise for I guessed  before the event  it   would asolutely make me boring but I found that I was waiting with expecting how disguised people would press the bell. Sometimes chic cats, cute witches, scary witches, charming devil, splended dress up Dracula family... most of all, they didn't notice who was  I..
It was the moment that  I  realized why masks have been loved like that so much.

  Loi Kraton is comming soon, it will  be fist experience in Bangkok. Of course I am willingly take part in the party in my condo. The only thing I prepare is to buy gorgeous earings and opened mind.


__________
Reference

By Tom Vater3:48PM GMT 21.Nov.2012 http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/festivalsandevents/9693738/Bangkoks-best-festivals-and-events.html
Shift  Sands(Steve Donahue, 2005, Kinyoungsa)

10 comments:

  1. Four years ago in Songkarn festival I had a chance to sit in the back of the pick up truck equipped with buckets of water. My father drove the pick up truck along Kaosan Road of which my friends and I sat in the back. They threw water merrily. The time that they finished throwing water was 11 P.M. However, I spent a long time deciding to go throwing water at Kaosan Road. Even if Kaosan Road is the popular area that both Thais and foreigners go throwing water, in my thought this area is still full of danger. Throwing water at Kaosan Road looks rough. Anyways, thanks for the good experience at that time. Throwing water at Kaosan Road four years ago made me happy a lot. It was imprinted on my mind. By the way, in order to keep Thai culture don't forget to pour an elder water in Songkarn festival.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aah ... Songkran.

      When I first came to Thailand, I thought it was cool. But that sort of passed fairly quickly. I now think it's a very convenient time to flee for my annual visit to Australia.

      I know that throwing water over people who are dressed to go out for a meal or something is Thai culture at Songkran, but it is also extremely annoying to a lot of people - including, I suspect, a lot of Thai people. Do people going to or from work, or out for a dinner or lunch, or to do some grocery shopping really want to get soaked by filthy water on the way? And since I happen to live on Silom Road, which is, like Kaosan Road, a major centre for celebrating this particular festival, I think it's much better to escape for a week or so. When I come back safe and dry from seeing my family and old friends, the sois and roads around my home are still thick with dust from the powder that is thrown around with the water.

      It's also a beautiful time of year to visit Australia - it's the end of summer, so not too hot or cold, and usually not excessively wet.

      Delete
    2. I like the Loy Kratong festival much more.

      Delete
    3. Maybe after repetitive events we become sick
      of them. But for me they are so cool yet. This Wedensday I'll join the Loi Kraton, I have never seen like that ritual in front of my eyes. I can't miss it.

      Delete
  2. If you really want to enjoy Loi Krathong festival, I would recommend you to visit Chiang Mai in Thailand. For a month before festival, you could hear sounds of fireworks which can be disturb your sleeping, millions of people and really beautiful sky-lantern(Khom loi) in the sky. You can't definitely count them. Why? There are thousands Khom loi in the air. It‘s really spectacular.

    Reference

    Loi Krathong. (2012, November 17). In Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Retrieved 20:30 November 23, 2012, from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loi_Kratong

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your useful information. I will
      considerate for next year plan. Most of all Chiang MAI is my wanna visit place for the beautiful scenery and the cool weather are all appeal to people. I'm also missing mountain.
      It's helpful to cure my homesick.

      Delete
  3. In the last Loi Krathong, I went to the lake in the Banjakiti Park near my house just to see the candles' floating. I wanted to see the beautiful scene like in the pictures. Most of pictures are so fantastic, so I want to experience directly the festival, not only in front of my condo. Sadly, what I see was just candles' floating, no light candles. That day was too windy, there was no remaining light so long time. This year I wish no windy day. Dreaming bright candles' floating like ads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my first Loi Kraton for last year's
      floods interruped me to participate the occasion. This time is a good chance to fall in the romantic moods I think. I hope no wind,no rain..

      Delete
  4. Indeed, I don't like a one-night-long Loy Kratong Festival because people usually float their kratong in rivers and that causes tons of garbage and water pollution.

    However, I prefer at-least-three-day-long Songkran much more, although it wastes a large amount of water. And because it matches hot water in April, the hottest month in Thailand, I am impressed how Thai ancestor create a suitable tradition with the weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. New point for the Loi Kraton. I coudn't think over like that pollution. In the enclosed and small place, we can clean up after the event, it will be an check point.

      Delete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.