Wednesday 21 November 2012

Keep going


Are you now feeling tired of something? Are you now feeling frustrated in reaching your goal?  The story of a disabled runner may help to cheer you up.

According to “Indirect Path to Finish for Disabled Marathoner”, Andrew W. Lehren says that he was one of the guides in the Delaware and Lehigh Heritage Marathon/Half Marathon in Northampton for Eline Oidvin, a Norwegian disabled marathoner with limited eye sight, who initially excitedly intended to join the New York City Marathon, which finally was canceled on account of hurricane Sandy, however, Lehren helped Oidvin and her guides to sign up to the Delaware and Lehigh Heritage Marathon/Half Marathon, which made Oidvin very happy after she was disappointed by the cancellation of NYC marathon while she had already spent her money on a trip from Norway to the United state.

After reading this article, I truly respect Oidvin and appreciate her endeavor since she put so much effort in to marathon racing. Despite having a problem with her vision, which is a gigantic obstruction for runner, she has very high intention to join the marathon. Being a disabled athlete, Oidvin have to confront the difficulty not only on the racing day, but also during the training period. In order to achieve her goal, both her heart and her body must be totally strong.


Oidvin’s story reminds me of a proverb “where there’s a will, there’s a way” which means you can find the way to achieve everything no matter how hard it is if you are determined enough. In my opinion, it is so easy for people to give up or change their goals when they are at pains to reach them. A disable who can achieve their admiring goal, like Oidvin, is a very cheerful example to encourage me to keep going, as my difficulties seem to be very small compared to all apparent obstructions of them. According to “Indirect Path to Finish for Disabled Marathoner”, apart from Oidvin’s physical ability problem, which is the biggest obstacle that she had already overcome in the first step, she still faced another serious problem about the cancellation of the New York City Marathon, which was her dream race, as a result of hurricane Sandy. However, her determination leads a willing help to her that makes her ultimately very happy to join another race.

If you are the one who are now hesitating to keep stepping toward your goal, please bare in your mind that there are a lot of people who are able to accomplish their goal meanwhile they have less ability than ordinary people.

__________
Reference
Lehren, A. (2012, November 19). Indirect Path to Finish for Disabled Marathoner The New York Time. Retrieved November 19,2012 from http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/20/sports/eline-oidvin-a-runner-with-limited-sight-finds-her-marathon.html?pagewanted=1&ref=sports


6 comments:

  1. I am impressed with Oidvin's story and your mind to share like this story. Sometimes I feel like giving up or avoding even small challenges including some difficult english homework. Right now for me going through this class is the first one. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Jennifer, I like Oidvin's attitude.

    I have no interest in marathon running or any other sort of running, but I do admire passion in others, and especially the pursuit of excellence in whatever you are doing. That phrase, "the pursuit of excellence", always reminds me of the head of the physics department when I was university. And as he never tired of reminding his students, achieving excellence generally means a lot of hard work - even for an Einstein.

    I know that our class needs some hard work, but I hope it's also reasonably interesting, perhaps even enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I'm very glad to see the continuance of the move to reading sources other than the BBC News, which is very good, but not really aimed at an academically sophisticated audience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Apple, I like your article so much. It provides me with considerable encouragement.;) Your article will be the first thing that I think of when I despair of my life. In addition, I do agree with your proverb--Where there is a will, there is a way. !!! Before I read your article, I had felt disheartened. Nevertheless, your article reminds me there is nothing that perseverance cannot win. Odivin's story is the prime example.

    ReplyDelete
  5. “Where there’s a will, there’s a way”. How meaningful it is! Some of us are going to study in foreign country, some are going to live in other country. Despite living in another country is always not easy, if we remind that proverb, we could study and live well. I wish dream of all classmates would come true whatever it is. Thank you a thoughtful essay.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Are you now feeling tired of something? Are you now feeling frustrated in reaching your goal?"

    Rereading Apple's opening sentences after concentrating on Ralph for the last few hours made me think that he must have known that feeling.

    So, who or what is his Oidvin?

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.