Wednesday 4 July 2018

Global Warming and Discrimination

What I read

According to “Court action to save young from climate bill,” Roger Harrabin (2018) reports that a group of legal activists, called ‘Plan B’, do not believe that the UK government would be able to comply with the commitments of reducing greenhouse gas emission. Without immediately serious intention, strong policies to solve the problem from the government, people would have to encounter severe environmental problems which were claimed as discrimination of the youth when these responsibilities would be passed to next generation if there is no action right now. The UK government stated that this issue would be considered after the international conference about 1.5C according to Paris Agreement, while the Netherlands court had ruled that Dutch government should pay more attention to climate target.

___________________________________ 



My response


When I read this story I thought this issues should be raised in every country in the world as we live together. The world is our home, we should be responsible altogether in this climate change problem. I hope that it would happen in Thailand too. We all want to live with clean air and beautiful environment. I think carbon dioxide, nowadays, is increasing more and more as people in the country still need more energy to facilitate lifestyle. We should aware of reducing and trying not to make it worse and could not be fixed. Not only air pollution has to be awared of but also others, water pollution which is now in a bad situation as well when many sea animals were found harmed by plastic garbage and chemical substances. For me, we cannot deny that we live with and live in nature, we are friends, why we would harm our friend. Actually, I thought the pollution problems had been with us for many years ago but we just forgot them and did not realize how important it is to save our friend.

After reading the news, I think, their claim makes me see another aspect of law, how negligence of environmental problem would be described as discrimination. It seems like how it would be when the young have to live their lives with this day adults’ decision if we do not take actions and solve this problem since this day while we still can. In my opinion, we should aim our target time duration in both short and long term. If we set the time frame too far like next 30 years, it might be difficult to evaluate or customize the plan. Furthermore, not only to reduce the greenhouse gas but also to increase the numbers of trees, forests and save wildlife.

___________________________________ 

My question

What do you think about claiming that failing to commit gas emission is discriminating young people?
___________________________________ 

Reference

  • Harrabin, R. (2018, July 3). Court action to save young from climate bill. Retrieved from https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-44699733

6 comments:

  1. Thank you In, but I have to admit that the very small font is hard for me to read. The font I set in the template is a bit easier on ageing eyes like mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry. Let me fix this.

      Delete
    2. The best solution is to write in the blog, not in another program such as MS Word. If you copy and paste from another program, the unwanted formatting also gets copied and pasted.
      See my notes on If you use "MS Word etc." on the menu bar above.

      Delete
  2. My first thought toward the article is that even though they said they would consider it, there is no guarantee things are to be done. Well, it is better than nothing.

    I have to idea who effective politician in UK do their job, but in Thailand, I'm afraid I have to say I am so not sure whether this could happen or people with authority would take a serious action to solve the problem.

    I'm not sure if this is discrimination. Not that I would like to ease the next generation's lives but I think that what is good and should be done should be done. If it takes time then take as much as needed but knowing bad things happen and do nothing doesn't sound right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At the first time I read you post, my first thought that came to my mind was that the youth people in the UK were very active in participating in this kind of demonstration. I used to take part in this kind of activist group when I was in high school. It was memorable experience for me. At that time I joined in an activist club that was organized in corroboration with our school and Ruamrudee international school. Our main activity was to promote awareness about environmental issue, for example, recycling wastes, reducing CO2, etc. Most of the time, our activities were about arranging discussion sessions at Ruamrudee international school, and we also invited guests who were an expert in this field to giving talks to us. Our activities were different from that Plan B activist’s.
    By the way, I think it would take years in order to solving global warming and climate change. I think that even we know that CO2 causes such environment problem, but we cannot avoid using fossil fuel for running cars, or electricity. I think it would take time to develop new source of energy for replacing fossil fuel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Although I'm not sure that I agree with it, I thought the idea that they were discriminating against youth because adults were damaging young people's future in favour of the present of adults was an interesting argument.

    It also led me to ask: is discrimination always a bad thing?

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.