Monday 2 July 2018

Pressure: reading 1 "The Stresses and Strains of Work" (R&W2, p59, Developing critical thinking)

What we read

We have just read and checked our understanding of "The Stresses and Strains of Work," the first reading in Unit 6 of Skillful RW2.

___________________________________ 

Our response 

Having read the text a couple of times, Rogers and Wilkin now invite us to respond to the ideas in a critical thinking exercise.
___________________________________ 

Rogers and Wilkin's questions

Comment on the following questions, which are the two critical thinking questions on page 59 (Rogers & Wilkin, 2013), and then reply to at least two of your classmates' comments. 

questions

  • The survey in the text questioned 3,000 people, but what do we know about who those 3,000 people are? If we knew the following, how might it change our opinion?
    • They are all employed by the same company? 
    • They all work in the same country? 
    • The company that commissioned the survey (SkillSoft)) is an IT training company?
      If I knew that  ... , this would make me think that maybe ... As usual, it's up to you whether you use the language that Rogers and Wilkin suggest to help you start responding.
       
  • What are the advantages and disadvantages of being self-employed compared to working for a company? Which would you prefer?
    Being self-employed means ...
    I would prefer ... 
___________________________________ 

Reference

  • Rogers, L. & Wilkin, J. (2013). Skillful Reading & Writing: Student's Book 2. London: Macmillan Education

9 comments:

  1. If the 3,000 people in the survey were all employed by the same company, that would make the conclusions less certain. It might just be that that company is very stressful, while other IT companies are not stressful. If they all work in the same company, i might think the results told us something about the culture in that country, which might not be true for other countries, and which might also be true for workers in other industries in that country. Finally, if the company that did the survey was an IT training company, I would worry that they might have created the survey to create results that would support companies paying them to train workers for less stress. It would be better to get survey results from an independent company that does not paid by IT companies.

    I think (it's my immediate idea, I haven't spent 20:00 minutes doing research and careful thinking) that this teaches us to be careful how we use survey results. We need to know details about who was surveyed, how they were selected, the exact questions asked, and so on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If all of 3000 people that be polled come from the same company, I will change my idea, because there are many people was inquired, but the extent is not too widely.
    If they all work in the same country, I would believe the conclusion is true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you mean you would believe that "the conclusion is true" or not true?

      Delete
  3. If the 3,000 people are in same company, I think this is not a correct survey in this career. Because if we need to do a survey, we need different kinds of employed to support the data. This survey seems like a fake news, and the purpose just make the training company get lots of business.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I knew that all participants are from the same company, this would make me think that maybe the poll result might not be the same for other companies, and some professions might not be included in the survey.

    If I knew that they all work in the same country, this would make me think that this might show reliabe characteristic of stressful jobs in that country.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I knew that all employed work in the same company same country and their field is about IT, this would make me think that maybe the information that they get would be quite similar because they work in the same environment.

    Being the self-employed means you have to organize everything by yourself. However, I would prefer being a self-employed because I don't like working with the strangers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I knew that information from checking in SWNS for SkillSoft's poll, and other sources in the Internet if I want. this would make me think that maybe true because it is not only the writer's idea and it is conducted from the sources which I can trust on them. And if I know the factor of information that responses to my ideas such as the factor of information. Definitely, I change my ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think when they are all employed by the same company or all work in the same country, it will have a definitely percent change.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If I knew that who those 3000 people are, this would make me think that maybe they are from the same company in the same country because most of them have the same feeling that they feel the impact of stress every day.

    The advantages of being self-employed may be not feel stress too much from work, but self-employed will get stress from other problem such as you are not guaranteed a steady income.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.