Monday 2 July 2018

We will get ride of relying on organ by people donate


What I read

According to "Phillip Hancock: Rare foreign organ donor praised in China"(2018)By Frances Mao
BBC News.A person named Phillip Hancock from Australia worked in China as an English teacher.Unfortunately, he fell seriously ill and died. He had decided to donate his organs to help other people before he died. His action was praised in China.And then, the article analyzes some reasons why few people donate their own organs to help to others after they died in China.  

___________________________________ 

My response 

I think his action should be praised because his decision helped other people to cue, who fell serious ill . Nowadays, some diseases have only a way to rescue the patient's life,which is organ transplant. If the patients can not find appropriate organ, they only maintain their life by other ways in a hospital, but patients will feel very painful and need to spent a lots of money. But resource of  organ is difficult to get. First if you want to transplant a organ, this organ must match you in accordance with many special parameters on medicine science aspects, such as blood type is basis. And other reason is available organs will deteriorate and it can not be kept longer time.
Organ donation remains uncommon in China, which has one of the lowest donor rates in the world.Why almost nobody would like to donate his organ in China? I think Chinese special culture cause this situation. We have a traditional conception that means our own hair and skin come from our parents, they should not be damaged. Every Chinese people want to keep a whole body to enter another world after people died. Maybe another reason is people don't understand organ donation process and meaning, government should put more energy to disseminate.
May we get ride of relying on organ donation? I think it is sure. As advanced technology developed, we will not need the organs that people donate in not far distance future. for example, clone technology occurs already, people use some special cells in creature to make a same and alive one,the first clone animal is a sheep named Dolly in the world,so scientists can also use some cells in your body to make a good quality organ in the laboratory and transplant it into your body instead of  organ donated by others.   
___________________________________ 

My question

How is the situation  about organ donation in Thailand?
___________________________________ 

Reference

6 comments:

  1. In Thailand, if you want to be an organ donor, you have to register your will at Thai Red Cross Society. I think this organization will share donors data with all hospitals, so when they have patient who match donor criteria they can check immediately if that patient is in the donor list or not. I don't know how many potential donors in the list, but I guess we still need a lot more to meet the demand. I personally have no problem becoming a donor. It would be great if you can still help other people even you are dead. I think if there is online donor registration, it might help increase donor in the list a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't really know about organ donation in Thailand, but I heard in Thailand we have foundation that doing the blood donation for hospital. I used to donate blood one time. For organ donation in Thailand I think it's depend on the situation and the people who really want to give their part of the body to hospital, or give it to someone who really need it, but if you asking me? I not gonna do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Jack. As I reading, I thought that the reason might be something different to cultural habits, although they probably also play a part. A study I read some years ago concluded that the biggest factor in different rates of organ donation between nations was whether a form asked people to legally opt in or out of organ donation.

    In countries where you are a donor unless you say you don't want to be, organ donation rates are relatively high, whereas in in countries where you are not a donor unless you say you want to be, the rates are much lower. You can see this in the table on the Wikepedia article "International organ donor rates". Sometimes what seem to be cultural differences are due to very simple explanations that are overlooked. This sort of reminded me of the critical thinking exercise we did this morning on how it would change our thinking if we knew different things about the people in the survey of IT workers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. But the tiny font made it a bit hard on my eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know much about organ donation. However, few of my friends are organ donors since they were eighteen years old. In Thailand, Buddhist have some teaching about what we give to others will return to us in our next life. To illustrate, if you donate your body you might born beauty and smart in your next life. Thus, so many people who believe in Buddha follow the teaching due to the belief in their next life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I don't donate organ. It's not about culture, just I am afraid of most kinds of pain, even caused by injection. So I didn't have ear hole I really want it. In China, I think we have some news to report this kind of thing. But I think this is not about Donation rate, it's not a number question. It's about that someone really needs and another person really wants to give.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.