Wednesday 4 July 2018

Recent development of AR technology from the Pokemon Go company

What I read


According to the Pokemon Go: Hiding Pikachu may hold key to AR's future,” Dave Lee (2018) says that Augmented Reality technology still cannot make digital objects interact with the real world environment perfectly. Even Niantic, the company who brought the AR technology to mainstream through Pokemon Go, is also facing this problem. To remove the illusion flaw and make the AR technology more realistic, Niantic acquired Mattrix Mill to develop a software that can determine where the digital object should appear more precisely, which will allow Pikachu to run behind objects perfectly. Niantic also plans to explore new AR technology in the upcoming Harry Potter game to create better gaming experience. The company also decided to collaborate with third-party developers by making its ‘real world’ technology available for them.
___________________________________ 

My response 

I also experienced the AR’s lack of realistic displaying digital objects on the real environment. While playing Pokemon Go, my pokemons always float off the ground and stand in front of everything stupidly. It’s not realistic enough to keep me entertained. I am still playing Pokemon Go but I rarely use the AR mode in the game. I appreciate the excitement it gives but AR mode does make it more difficult to catch the pokemons.




The AR technology is not just for gaming. There are mobile applications using the AR technology to help you with things. You can now measure your room precisely without having a measure tape. Just stand in the center of the room, use your phone to scan the length of the walls and boom! you have your room size. With these applications, you can see perfectly where to put your furniture. Talking about furniture, IKEA, one of the biggest furniture company in the world, is also using the AR technology to help its customers choose the right furniture. The IKEA application allows customers to be able to put digital furniture in their houses so they can see if they fit in the room or not. I tried it once and it did help me choose my bed. One last example of the applications that use AR technology is Snapchat. Snapchat filters are also using AR to put those flower bands on your head. Unfortunately, sometime the flower bands are rendered on your eyes because the AR still need some developments to be more precise.


There are a lot of AR applications for purposes now. This technology is really getting bigger and better. Apple even have a section devoted to AR games. If you are interested, just type “AR” in your App Store or Play Store.     
___________________________________ 

My question

How do you think the AR technology can change the way we live?  
___________________________________ 

Reference

5 comments:

  1. I think AR Technology could change people life in terms of education and training. Added to the use for gaming that you have mention above, recently, AR technology is applied for training in medical and engineering schools. In several medical schools, practitioners learn about the position of human organs through an AR camera. Anyway, I think there would be more possibility of usages of AR technology applied in our daily life. And I hope they can bring more usages of the technology for entertainment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my point of view, AR technology can save people's life and may increase human's life expectancy. In emergency circumstance, AR technology can be used to suspect super storms such as hurricanes or blizzard. It can also be applied to rescue hiker lost in rugged mountain or cave through a search aircraft using AR technology. This technology could let us live longer, because it provides surgeon to visualize the position of a tumor and vessels more accurately which can significantly increase success rate of the surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your article remind me of the game. When I saw some news about this game, I really wanted to try it. Unfortunate, China can't play it, even use VPN. But now I just need to download and open the app, It's an exciting thing! If Niantic developed the Harry Potter game, I hope I can play it in my country, I think the game will have so magical vision.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was thinking of interior design when I read your blog and the IKEA picture you attached is a perfect example of what I thought of. It would be perfect to see what would be like to have furniture in the house so that you could easily arrange to the right place. What's more, the situation that you have bought a sofa but doesn't fit the place you was about to put and there is no other places for it would not happen. I also have seen an advertising of house painting visualizer that you would see your house with the color you like before actually painting it. That is also useful.

    Anyway, for Pokemon Go or other games, I know that it would be very nice to play a game with high quality AR. But it is also dangerous for people who focus too much that they don't be careful on side walk.

    Still, I look forward to the Harry Potter game.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In my opinion, I think that AR technology will take an important role in our life someday. For now, I can not think of any AR goods that will improve in other ways except entertainment.

    Anyways, I believe that many people look forward to that kind of era which everything around us are made up with code, program and untouchable as same as me !

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.