Wednesday 29 September 2010

E-crime online bank theft.



I believe that most of people are spend several time to online and transection online bank. It's faster and very convenient these days. For my assignment, I found the tiltle " E-crime police arrest 19 over UK online bank theft" in the BBC News, so I choose this news to write.


According to the article, the gang has stolen monney from online bank accounts, they have been arrested by police. They used malicious code to capture bank log - in details on personal computers. Moreover, they were using a trojan programme dubbed " ZeuS", which a piece of " Malware" that will appear as normal application to installed by user, so they can use the personal details on the computers then passes it back to them. Terry Wilson, Detective chief inspector of the Metropolitan police" said " Online banking customers must make sure their security systems are up to date and be alert to any unusual or additional security features requested which is at variance with their narmal log- on experience"
I think we should check carefully when we online or dowload some programs on the internet, but If we are not the computer experts. How do we know, which bank are security systems? or we shouldn't use online banking?
_______

References
E-crime police arrest 19 over UK online bank theft. ( 2010, September 28) BBC News. Retrieved September 29, 2010 from http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11431989

4 comments:

  1. I just left a comment on A's post, and Ning's is related, also being on the topic of the internet taking over from less efficient and convenient ways of doing things.
    I love online banking - it's way more convenient to pay bills and move money around from the convenience of my home, whenever I want, than to go out and trudge along to an actual bank to do the same things.
    But I do also worry about security. Although I'm happy to access the OED or an online magazine from any computer, I only access my bank accounts from my home computer, which I know is secure, or from a computer owned by someone who I know has up to date virus protection. I would never access a bank account from a public computer or AUA!

    And preventing this sort of computer crime is what police and governments should be worry8ing about and working on, not wasting time and public resources attacking citizen's right to free speech online or censoring information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love online banking too. I always use this service when I need to transfer my money to the another in the same bank in Thailand because I don't have to pay for transfer fee. On the other hand, I have to pay fee 25 THB if I transfer my money via ATM and pay more and more fee when I contact to the counter of bank.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the way that Peter keep his bank's password safe is useful and it's same of my style but I'm not 100% sure that's safe so I prefer to banking on face to face. Moreover, I'm using iMac on my home and there is no virus or trojan in Snow leopard( the operation system of mac).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you everyone for your comments. It's make me get more informations. First, I'm worries about security online banking but now I'm guite sure to use it, if I protect my access computer. Therefore, It's more convenient ways to transection with bank or whatever. Finally, I have no choice if I will stay in another countrie. Anyways, I have to get one member to use it.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.