Sunday 5 September 2010

Game =? Blame

I don’t know whether this is my last blog posting or not, we continue blogging for a long time, but everything has to be end. Sometime it is fun to write something, but sometime (maybe many times), especially when I got a blockhead, it is hard to write just one or two words. Why do I start with something look like the will, so sad? Because I got a blockhead now, I can’t write an interesting introduction. OK, back to the news blog, did you play the computer game? Today, there is a news about computer games influence in “Computer Games May Be Spawning Reckless Drivers”.

In “Computer games may be spawning reckless drivers” (2010), Paul Mark reports about Kathleen Beullens research result which is said that people whose play the driving computer game at the age of 16 and 17 are significantly like to drive faster and riskier. Moreover, the people who play the violent game are likely to have less response to the real-life violence. On the other hand, many studies show that computer games have advantage influence such as improving eyesight, treating debilitating phobias, and encouraging the generous feeling.

This news remind me about the news of Thai teenager killed a taxi driver (2008) copying from Grand Theft Auto, a game which allowing to play as criminal, and then the government banned many games that they think they are violent games.
I totally disagree with the government. I have played plenty of computer games since eight, and I didn’t want to kill, injured, or harm anyone like in the game. We, the humans being, blame everything except ourselves.
Somebody said to me, and I believe that “Guns don’t kill people, knifes don’t kill people, politics don’t kill people, religions don’t kill people, it just a people that kill people”.

__________
References
Joshi, M (2008, August 4). Thai taxi-killer imitates online game. TopNews.in. Retrieved September 5, 2010 from http://www.topnews.in/thai-taxi-killer-imitates-online-game-256695.

Marks, P (2010, September 3). Computer games may be spawning reckless drivers. NewScientist. Retrieved September 5, 2010 from http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn19399-computer-games-may-be-spawning-reckless-drivers.html.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds pretty interesting to me.
    I'm also very dubious about interpreting statistics related to seeing violence and committing it. Even if there is a strong correlation, and most are very weak, that does not mean the correlation is causal - there is a strong correlation between sun rise and my alarm going off in the morning, but I'm pretty sure that my alarm clock is not causing the sun to rise every morning.

    I also record how many blog posts and comments everyone makes on this blog, and there is a strong, and increasing, correlation between the number of blog posts + comments and the over-all grade for writing assignments. At the moment, the Pearson coefficient is 0.49, which is a high-medium correlation. I do think that regular blogging does have some causal link with better academic writing, but I'm not sure that I have enough statistical support to say that yet, despite the evident correlation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. when I play game, I want try a techniqe in game in my reality life like matial art techniqe, driff in some time. I think game is one of way to teach children. For example, we play RPG game that kill ulgy animal to save princess ,so we will make common sense that ulgy animal is dangerous and we have right to kill it ,but it may not true.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.