Saturday 5 May 2012

Let's make PE more interesting to schoolgirls


Are you the one who is usually bored during PE- physical education- classes? We all know that one of the most effective way to be healthy is exercise but not every one love doing every kind of sport.

According to "Girls and sport: Schools urged to make PE more attractive to girls", the research found that the grower the student, the wider the gap of opinions between girls and boys towards doing sport. The number of regularly exercised girls is reduced because of so many reasons such as having no confidence in sporting skills, dislike exercising in front of boys and dislike sweating despite the fact that they want to exercise. Sue Tibbals, Women's Sports and Fitness Foundation chief executive,  said that it is "unacceptable that the overwhelming majority of our young women are leaving school with dangerously low levels of physical activity"(¶17) so WSFF urge schools to "introduce more female-fitness activities"(¶1) to make EP more interesting and more attractive to girls.


When I was reading "Girls and sport: Schools urged to make PE more attractive to girls" for first time, I found that I'm exactly one of the girls in this article. To be honest, I quite don't like doing sport especially one that concern about any kind of ball such as volleyball and basketball because I'm not good at it. Most school sports are usually that kind despite the fact that there are several kind of sport that I like such as swimming, yoga, dancing and skating.


It is a very good idea to make school sports more attractive to girls who usually don't like competitive sports. I think PE is one of the most important subject because it let us exercise properly,  build up our exercise behavior and be healthy. It is important to make students happy with a kind of sports they like and interest in.

__________

References

Girls and sport: Schools urged to make PE more attractive to girls. (2012, May 2). BBC News. Retrieved May 5, 2012 from http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17873519

2 comments:

  1. I wonder if this is really something that schools should worry about? Isn't their children's health something that parents, not teachers and schools, should be responsible for?

    I think that Bic's source raises important issues, but it's not obvious that the suggested solution is acceptable. What, after all, are the responsibilities of the parents? Is it the government's job to do and pay for everything using other people's money?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with bic that there should be more sports choice for girls, especially in Thailand. When I was at school I had to play sports that I do not want to play . For example in mathayom 4 I had to play volleyball, in mathayom 5 tennis and mathayom 6 badminton. It is noticeable that all of these sports is concerned with "ball" which most boys like. My school, and most Thai school, do not provide necessary sports so it can response to all students' interest. I love swimming and some indoor sports like skating but I do not have a chance to play in my school. whenever I want to swim I have to use my condo's swimming pool. So what would happen to me if I am poor and cannot access to swimming facility. When compared to schools in other countries, such as US wchich I am going to go, Thai's school do not have enough sports' choice for girls.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.