Tuesday 8 May 2012

The new challenge of UK's government



In the 20th century, the internet becomes more considerable for human life. There are many benefits which come from using the internet such as communication and economy. However, there are several people in both developed countries and developing countries which can't access this facility. The government attempts to fulfill this gap. By the way, the insufficient funding is the important obstacle to expand internet broadband.

The development of broadband can increase UK's economic benefits,"A rise in broadband penetration of 10% can lead to a 0.9% - 1.5% boost in GDP per capital"(¶3). In 2015, Uk has broadband plans to support their whole people with 100% of fast broadband and 90% of super fast broadband. However, UK faces the biggest problem of funding. The deficit of funding about £1.1bn is the significant problem which makes the government couldn't reach the target. Although it is very difficult to fulfill funding gap, their government promises to setup broadband to every area by 2015.

Thailand is one of the countries which wants to improve the broadband. There are many development over the year such as wifi and 3G but there are not enough for Thai people. Some provinces don't have broadband and some have but not enough. The good example of this case is Bangkok, the capital of Thailand where some places have insufficient of broadband communication.

The cost of broadband service is one of the problems for Thai people. I spend 625 Baht each month. This cost isn't included the money which I have to spend on 3G service about 400 Baht. Every month, I have to accept those expenses and the result of this service isn't be satisfied for my expectation. Sometimes the broadband speed is not good enough as their advertisement and there isn't signal to be connected in some places.

I delight with UK population which their government has the plan to increase the broadband. This project will give a good opportunity for UK people to have a good communication and economy. I wish one day Thai's government will support this facility.

__________


References

"Government broadband plans face £1bn funding shortfall"(2012, May 4). BBC News. Retrieved May 8, 2012 from http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-17954346

9 comments:

  1. Film,
    Thanks for the timely post on a topic that I am sure interests many - although my service isn't bad, I think because I live on Silom Road, it definitely agree with you that it could be a lot better.

    It the Thai government stopped wasting money encouraging corruption, crime and mafia gangs with its unjust wars on drugs that actively harm Thai society and citizens, it would immediately have an enormous amount of money saved and extra income from legitimate business taxes to spend on helping the Thai people with things like high-speed internet access.

    And no harm done, only good for all concerned. Well, actually, some groups would be harmed by adopting my proposal: corrupt police, judges, politicians and other officials, and criminal gangs would all suffer a sudden loss of income and influence from such a sensible and just policy reversal of Thailand's current drug laws.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Film, I also have to pay over 700 baht a month for an internet service fee. I have no choice although the network service provided around my area is sometimes bad. I don't mind much about the speed internet access. But the most concerned point is that I've often faced with no internet access when I'm ready to click "send" an e-mail, or even it just happened yesterday when I clicked "publish" to comment on Cherry's blogpost, the network service was cut. It's so terrible.

      Delete
    2. Peter, I agree with you. If Thai government stopped corruption, i think Thailand will have a lot of money to develop the facilities but The important question is When it will be stopped? I feel bad about Thai government.

      Delete
    3. Lek, my area is bad too. I want to change services but I don't know which internet company is good. I think every internet company try to create a new connection in other province but they don't fix the problem in Bangkok.

      Delete
  2. I agree with p'Film because I have to pay for the internet fee also, but sometimes in my area the internet is not working. It is making me angry.
    I think, the cost of broadband is very expensive. Thai government should help the people by pay some money to the network service. I hope somedays Thai government will solve this problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why should the government do this? Wouldn't it be better for private businesses competing in a healthy free market to do it?

      Wanting and allowing the government to control everything sounds communist to me.

      If Thai businesses are not efficient, fair and competitive, perhaps a much better solution would be to allow fully foreign owned companies to enter the market and bring in not just better technology, but much better management and customer service.

      Delete
    2. Aj.Peter, don't you know why the government party has to handle this themselves? Because they cannot settle with how many pieces of cake they have to cut sufficiently for their stakeholders? Ha Ha!

      Delete
    3. Lek, I like you comment :)

      Delete
  3. Flim, I am the one who wish that Thai government will support this facility and this is also my problem that make me feel annoyed. Sometimes the speed of my internet access is very slow, which I can't use the internet for work and play game haha.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.