Monday 7 May 2012

A spice of life


Massaman curry


                If you look on cnngo.com, you’ll see the ranking of world’s 50 most delicious foods. Big claps for the first one, Massaman curry. This fabulous dish comes from my hometown, Thailand. And this is what I’m gonna talk about? Of course not. What I’m going to say is about the last word, curry. Let it be more interesting. What do you think if this familiar meal will be the way to cure the cancer?
Turmeric
                According to “Curry’s ability to fight cancer put to the test”, recently, a chemical found curry, Curcumin -which is found in the spice turmeric, has ability to kill bowel cancer tumors. The studies have shown that it can beat cancer cells grown in a laboratory. Prof William Steward, who’s leading the study, said “100 times better” (8). He also added “Once bowel cancer has spread it is very difficult to treat, partly because the side effects of chemotherapy can limit how long patients can have treatment. The prospect that curcumin might increase the sensitivity of cancer cells to chemotherapy is exciting because it could mean giving lower doses, so patients have fewer side effects and can keep having treatment for longer.(¶9,¶10)
Japanese curry
              Curry is my favorite dish. I especially like Japanese curry. Because of its savory taste and smell, I deeply in love to eat it. It may sounds strange but if you try on it, Just only one little spoon. You won’t stop eating it until your dish is empty
                With its smell, curry allures many people’s nose. With its taste, curry captivates human’s tongue. And with its ability, curry attracts the world. From Carolina, Duke University, Prof Murali Doraiswamy and his team found that curcumin in turmeric can protect the brain diseases, Alzheimer, by stop the build-up of misfolded proteins. In addition, curcumin not only interrupt the process of building misfolded proteins but also cure the diseases. The research from The University of Arizona shown that curcumin can profound anti-arthritic effects.
                As the ancient Indian said turmeric is a spice of life. In this little yellow herb, there are lots of benefits that can heal the world. Maybe, now, it’s time for looking at something simply healthy delicious like turmeric. So, let’s walk to our own backyard and see if there anything that’s going to be our future remedy.

__________
References

Curry’s ability to fight cancer put to the test (2012,may6).BBC News. Retrieved  May ,6 2012 from http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17959521
Tapping the Power of Turmeric (2012).The University of Arizona. Retrieved  May ,6 2012 from http://www.arizona.edu/features/tapping-power-turmeric

Eat This Weekly. Prevent Alzheimer's?.the Editors of at Netscape. Retrieved  May ,6 2012 from http://webcenters.netscape.compuserve.com/homerealestate/package.jsp?name=fte/curryfightsdementia/curryfightsdementia
World’s 50 most delicious foods(2011,July21). CNNGo staff . Retrieved  May ,6 2012 from http://www.cnngo.com/explorations/eat/worlds-50-most-delicious-foods-067535?page=0,2

12 comments:

  1. Hmmm ... I've started my homework after a late lunch, silly DVD and a short nap, and now dinner sounds alluring.

    I enjoy a nice curry, but I prefer Indian ones to the Japanese version. If I'm feeling highly motivated, I even make one myself, but usually it's much easier to walk down the street to one of the Indian places in the Silom area. One of the great benefits of living on Silom Road is a lot of good food within walking distance. For example, one of Bangkok's great French restaurants is about a ten minute walk from my home, although my usual Indian place is a little further. In fact, there is more Indian down at the Hindu temple end, near Charoenkrung. A bit off topic? That's OK - it's response writing, not an academic essay.

    But I also enjoyed one of the academic ingredients in Cherry's post: her references list, about which I have a question or two.

    1. Has Cherry cited every source in her list of references?
    2. Why is this an important question for us to discuss?

    And my thanks to Cherry for getting her homework done so well and so promptly, and for her research. And following on from my question on Film's post, what does the word research mean in this context? Is it the same as or different to the meaning in Film's source? Which meaning(s) did Film have in mind in his post?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But as the picture shows, the Japanese might win at presentation.

      Delete
    2. many thanks for your comments:-) I really like the presentation of this Japanese dish :p Didn't eat dinner yet.Maybe ,curry is a good idea lol

      Delete
    3. Why is this an important question for us to discuss?

      for this question, if we aren't writing something academic, why do we have to concern that which is important and which is not? We should be able to write what we are interested in, in respond writing. Am I right? :)

      Delete
  2. I will write about this tomorrow!!
    Anyway, I like your blog and it makes me hungry again. :-/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!!!!:)
    I have a new knowleadge. I agree with Cherry, we should find something simple and healthy to eat because the people don't have enough time to take care of themselves. I like to eat Massamun curry and I think, it's good for my health because it is spicy, has herbs and good for our stomach such as turmeric. It can prevent you from cancer. I like your Japanese curry picture because it's make me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Cherry for the new knowledge. I never know that turmeric can kill cancer. I like to eat many dishes that had a curry powder, my favorite one is flied curry with crab, a Chinese food.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been interested in reading anything which is all about health since I have more and more serious period pain problem. I do hate the feeling of pain including any kinds of pains, such as toothache, sore throat or muscle pain after doing exercise even just a little blister on the finger could become a big obstacle for working or studying. As a result, I totally realize the meaning of health so that I started to take care of my body from the basic. As we all know that keeping early hours, taking exercise and eating healthy food are all good to maintain and promote our health. (But definitely, Not Now ^^) Indeed, my problem has been improved if I keep making them a good habit. Now that I understand what I could do and what I could eat is better for my body that's why I like this blog Cherry posted. But I'd like to say is that of all the curry cuisines above in the world, my mother's homemade curry rice is the best!! Oh oh, you make me homesick now....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing! I never know having a curry may help fight bowl cancer. I have been eaten Indian Curry at UK two times but I didn't like it. The new knowleadge from you that make me eat especially Japanese curry.
    Where can I buy it ?

    ReplyDelete
  7. After reading this article, I feel like that I want to grab it for eating. However, there is a point that I do not agree. It is that its smell allures people to eat curry. It may or may not be true. The reason I think like this is that I find many people who do not to like eat something about curry and try to avoid it. I really want to know why because I am also a big fan of this menu. The answer I get is that they hate its smell. They continue explaining their idea that it is like durian's smell--they guess. Some love, but some hate. So, that is why they never walk into the Coco ichibana even though it is now very very popular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! your comment is really thoughtful.thanks for that:-) But ,for me, the point that I explained like that doesn't because it allures everyone[in fact,I wrote "With its smell, curry allures many people’s nose"(paragraph4)]It because I want to make the sentences after that more stronger like you said in class "strong...stronger...strongest":-)

      Delete
  8. Thank you for this useful knowledge, Cherry! I just have know that this kind of food can prevent cancer. It's good that there is a very simple way to make you healthy just be consider good food to eat.
    I like curry too, Cherry, especially japanese curry and curry with crab. It's really good that the food that I like can make my health good too because I usually find that the food that I don't like is good for health and I feel uneasy about it. LOL
    I think cancer is one of the most serious disease and glad that there is one way to prevent or cure it.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.