Sunday 6 May 2012

Do not Judge Animals by Appearances

Zoo is not only for visitors to watch some adorable and freak animals but also learn some characteristic of animals. It is undeniable that the attractive place in the zoo is the Close Encounters Area to most of tourists. There, there are no cages so animals feel more like they are home in the wild. Visitors can take a picture closer with the animals or touch them. However, most people are too careless to know what is called "wild animals", which have their own natural instincts so that the events of animals attack on people is frequently happening...


According to BBC News, "Violet D'Mello tells of Port Elizabeth cheetah mauling", a British woman was attached by cheetahs in order to protect a young girl from being mauling in a park in South Africa. She was injured in many parts of her body, especially her scalp and left eye which is by the sharp claw of the cheetah. Fortunately, she survived from the horrible incident but still has a long way for recovery both in physically and mentally.


As I read the new, it reminded me of a unfavorable memory of being bitten by a monkey when I traveled to the Indonesia. "The monkeys were for photoing with tourists. In particular, this one was not fond of men but women," the tour guide elaborated on that. By his encouraging words, I made a brave decision to give it a try for more traveling memories. As a result, that little monkey gave me a bite when it was put on my arm unexpectedly. I got a serious fever after the day that I was suspicious of the tetanus is associated with the monkey. Luckily, I got over my cold after few days. 


I had another reminder from the News that is a famous Australian naturalist, Steve Irwin, who is known as "Crocodile Hunter". All admired his boldness in trapping crocodiles, spiders and snakes that seemed all wild animals were tame by him. Even though Mr. Irwin was good at handling these ferocious creatures, he was killed by a stingray ironically. He was questioned about his death of the preference for closing to dangerous animals in a short distance. 


According to these mentioned above, it's time for people to correct our misunderstanding of regarding animals as pet. They are called "wild animals" are due to the wildness by their natural instinct that never being domesticated. Nevertheless, no one can deny that human beings couldn't control our temper, it is needless to that they are animals. This kind of news will never end unless people learn a lesson from that to respect animals.      


__________
References
Violet D'Mello tells of Port Elizabeth cheetah mauling (2012. May 5) BBC News. Retrieved on May 5, 2012 from http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17967219

"Crocodile Hunter" Irwin killed (2006. September 4) BBC News. Retrieved on May 5, 2012 from http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/5311298.stm

7 comments:

  1. Rainbow Gaga's post got me thinking of my own animal experiences. Since I grew up on a farm, there were a lot of those experiences. I guess my parents taught me from an early age that even the tame, domesticated animals could be dangerous if you were stupid.

    I remember when I was very little, I was once attacked by a rooster. It was pretty scary when I was 5 or 6 years old, but the rooster lost badly when I was 12 years old. A bit more dangerous, perhaps, are turkeys. One of my sisters keeps turkeys on her property, and although they ignore, or stupidly follow, most people, they seem to have taken a dislike to one of my nieces, who they regularly chase after, and they are large, strong birds with beaks. They might be very stupid, they are very stupid, but they can fight off the foxes in the area, and they make my 20 year old niece run.

    And those are just the some of the birds. Ducks are pretty mild, but a mother with babies to protect would also get hissy and threaten when we came too close to her brood. Geese just seem to hate everyone on principle - they even get hissy when you're giving them food, but they do taste good.

    And then there were the foxes (no worry - very scared of people), the snakes, which did have to be treated with respect, although I'm rather fond of snakes, and the feral cats, which could be very vicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May I share my experience on unfriendly dog. It was one day when I was around 15 year olds. I ran away from my mom; she was so angry with me as I had broken a chicken bowl, Chinese bowl which is difficult to find in a present day. I dropped by my neighbouring house; found a lovely dog in front of the house; and tried to feed her with watermelon seeds picked up from my pant's pocket. In stead of eating watermelon seeds, she had bitten my hand that made me cry out loud, didn't know what to do and that caused a scar being on my palm to see as a memory.

      So, I agree that animal could be dangerous as I was stupid. After that I knew from the dog's owner that she had just gaven birth to a lovely puppy and she might be afraid of me to take it from her. OR! Watermelon seeds might not be delicious. Do you agree with me Rainbow Gaga?

      Delete
    2. Lek,
      Your personal story is well told and an excellent response to Rainbow Gaga's post.

      And it's also about the right amount for five minutes or so of continuous response writing.

      And since comments cannot be edited afterwards, we are very tolerant of typing mistakes and minor grammar boo-boos. You'll soon notice some of my regular typing mistakes, for example "teh" instead of "the". My fingers seem to have learnt something wrong years ago, and refuse to unlearn it.

      Delete
    3. That's very kind of you, Ajarn Peter. Actually, I sometimes noticed my writing errors on cvocabulary and grammar uses after I had published my comments. The point is that how I would correct the errors if I did not recognize them.

      It's good for your fingers have learnt something wrong on your typing mistakes because you can be sure that Alzheimer's does not want to be nearby you.

      Delete
  2. First, thanks for your responses to my post!! Second, I think I am a bit scared of the dogs, especially other people's dogs, I mean that both the dog and the dog owner that I do not understand. When I was elementary school student, many times being chased by a dog on the way home. I absolutely have no idea why the dog has keen interest chasing me. I even didn't intend to feed or bully it. Luckily, I never be bite because I run as fast as Forrest Gump. So I agree with you, Lek that watermelon is not its type!! However, I am definitely NOT a cat person as same as Peter. Big cat and little cat!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also have experience of my own animal that is a dog. it was my birthday that my father gave me 2 dogs for my present and growth them up, but one day both of my dogs were harm to my neighbor, which i have to paid for 3000 bath for them. Therefore , i agree with you that animal can be dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems that many people have had some similar experiences of being attacked by animals, even human's best friend, dogs. Hence, maybe the next we're going to discuss is what we can do to keep ourselves from animal's attack. It is rumored that you had better not run when you see a dog to prevent you from being chasing because the dog might take it as a playful game. Also, do not wear red color clothes in front of ox. Do you believe these what it is said??

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.