Tuesday 8 May 2012

Overdue babies: 'Risks for those born after 42 weeks'

Pregnancy period time is one of the most important for the health of the In-born baby. The suitable period time of pregnancy should be between 41 to 42 weeks. It is the best time of the development of embryo to baby.
According to the research from Dr Hanan El Marroun from the Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry at Erasmus MC-Sophia in Rotterdam, (cited in, Overdue babies: 'Risks for those born after 42 weeks', from http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17929046). This article was published in International Journal of Epidemiology. She studied about the born of 5,000 children in The Netherlands and find out the result that the children who born after 42 weeks were more likely to develop behavioral problems than those born around their due date, and had more than twice the risk of Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). The average time of pregnancy should be 41 to 42 weeks for UK women.
I think the average time of pregnancy is essential for the baby because of the development of the organism from embryo to baby is completely for him/her. The problem of the health is happened not only before the average but also after average of time. In this news article, reported the study the risk of Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) on the born after 42 weeks. It is very dangerous for the baby. I learn from this article to prevent this problem and tell another person especially the pregnant women to beware the cause of ADHD from the longer 42 weeks of pregnant time.
__________
References
Helen Briggs. (2012, May 3). Overdue babies: ‘Risks for those born after 42 weeks.’ BBC News.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you Kon for this post on something that I had never thought about. Perhaps that's just because I've never been pregnant.

    I have three brothers and four sisters, and my mother delivered all but the last one perfectly naturally. They came when they decided, which meant she only just made it to hospital for a couple of us.

    In contrast, and supporting your source, all of my sisters have had their babies by induced labour. As I mentioned, I'd never thought about this before, but I realize now that they planned the time and booked the hospital facilities because they were not going to rely on mother nature, preferring the expert of opinion of their doctors, which is probably a good idea on the whole. Nature is often greatly over-rated, and not always very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To say the truth, I was surprised with this recent discovery since I have never heard about the dangerousity of being born overdued before. In fact, I have just known that preborn can cause physical abnormalities such as slow growth(in brain and our organs). Actually, I was one of the premature baby. My mother told me that I was born one month before the proper time. Although, when I was a child I had a slower growth rate(weight and height)than my friends, there was no difference between mine and others when I was a teenager. In contrast, now I am the top three tallest girls in my class at school!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you that it's a new knowledge, I've known before what subsequence it will have if the baby born overdue, I've just ever studied that what is the average time for pregnency and that's all. No one told me what will happen if it's later than that. Anyway, I like the way Kon response to this article, to tell people around you especially someone who is pregnant to aware of this figure. That is to prevent the problem which can cause a long term problem and stress for mother and the baby, because I don't think most people will know about this fact.

      Delete
  3. For me, I have my uncle who was born overdue. He was born when he was 10 months old. Because he continue living normally until today, I don't see any sign of danger in this case. However, I have also have preborn younger brother too. He was born before the schedule 1 month, but now he is 186 cm. tall and very strong. According to many researches, it is true that preborn can cause physical abnormalities. Yet, there is also a belief that preborn baby usually smarter than other baby. And i think it's true because he could get A every subject in school even now he is studying in America.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ็Thank you, Kon, to tell me something I have never known. I know that the time when baby is in mother's body is important and I know that it's not good for baby to be born before it should be but I just have known that it's bad to be born after it should be. One of my friend was born before the due and she told me that her father call her 'Green' because her body was green when she was just a baby.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for every comment. I think this article is very useful for everyone because you can suggest people around you to tell the pregnant woman about this risk to the babies. Knowing the risk before it happened, is the best way to solve the problem.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.